• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Rapunzel -

In all fairness, don't you think you're leaving a major factor out of your equation? Sugar?

It's pretty well known that the cheaper foods are commonly "packed" with sugar and these foods become very popular when income evades. Look at Walmart's earnings compared to say, Fresh Market. And I also think it's pretty well known that refined sugar "attacks the bones", starting with the teeth.

And there's plenty of things the state could do for our children, but doesn't. I'd be more than happy to apply more of my tax dollars to our children and even pay more, but unfortunately the government seems to have free rein lately - let's just say their kinda hard to talk to.

Maybe in an indirect way this thread will start some kind of awareness and action for the children that need it. But please don't make us all drink their fluorinated water.:D

(Wow - that last guy was kinda loud!)

I'm not suggesting you drink the fluoride. I am just urging you to support the only organization in our area that seems to be doing anything to protect children's teeth in this area if you're going to oppose fluoridation. I think many people lose sight of how large this county really is, and how many of it's people live on the margins. I've been blessed to have to do a lot of volunteer work up in DeFuniak and further north in the last few months, and it's really opened my eyes to how much of a bubble we live in down here in SoWal. I think I'm safe in saying most people in our community (Walton County) don't have access -- whether they can't afford the prices or the two hour drive from Paxton -- to Fresh Market through no particular fault of their own.

And yes, while sugar is probably a big part of the problem, a child isn't really able to make their own food choices and shouldn't be blamed. Fluoride might give them some protection. But, if the tiny amounts of fluoride that would provide that protection are that objectionable (and remember, fluoride is naturally occuring in many water systems, and the fact that the people living in areas with naturally fluoridated water had healthier teeth prompted the discovery -- fluoride is a supplement, like vitamin C 18th century sailors -- a megadose of vitamin C can do harm) then I encourage you to embrace the yin and yang of your position and really get involved in doing something to help children in urgent need of help.

Children's Volunteer Health Network has a bus that is a dental lab. They visit area schools and give fluoride treatments, cleanings, teach kids to brush, etc. That is why I mentioned CVHN in an earlier post. As far as children in need of dental care -- it's a major problem in this county.

I'm all about the ethics of the yin and yang of issues lately. I think some of us often forget the unintended consequences of our passionate beliefs. Fluoride is a cheap fix for a complex problem. I'm not a particular fan of fluoridated water, but I'd take it over the knowledge that a five year old needs $450 before she can have an abcess treated (her physician did give antibiotics to control the infection, but the nerve is still exposed), and her parents are service industry workers who won't be able to come up with that kind of money until the season gets back in swing. In the meantime, she's in terrible pain. If you really hate the idea of fluoride, I just encourage you to actively do something to help these children -- whether it's giving to CVHN or working to improve the diets of local children (Kendra with the IFAS Extension service is working on a slow food project you could get involved with). If you do choose the more difficult row to hoe, I have nothing but respect and support for your position on fluoride.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
I'm not suggesting you drink the fluoride. I am just urging you to support the only organization in our area that seems to be doing anything to protect children's teeth in this area if you're going to oppose fluoridation. I think many people lose sight of how large this county really is, and how many of it's people live on the margins. I've been blessed to have to do a lot of volunteer work up in DeFuniak and further north in the last few months, and it's really opened my eyes to how much of a bubble we live in down here in SoWal. I think I'm safe in saying most people in our community (Walton County) don't have access -- whether they can't afford the prices or the two hour drive from Paxton -- to Fresh Market through no particular fault of their own.

And yes, while sugar is probably a big part of the problem, a child isn't really able to make their own food choices and shouldn't be blamed. Fluoride might give them some protection. But, if the tiny amounts of fluoride that would provide that protection are that objectionable (and remember, fluoride is naturally occuring in many water systems, and the fact that the people living in areas with naturally fluoridated water had healthier teeth prompted the discovery -- fluoride is a supplement, like vitamin C 18th century sailors -- a megadose of vitamin C can do harm) then I encourage you to embrace the yin and yang of your position and really get involved in doing something to help children in urgent need of help.

Children's Volunteer Health Network has a bus that is a dental lab. They visit area schools and give fluoride treatments, cleanings, teach kids to brush, etc. That is why I mentioned CVHN in an earlier post. As far as children in need of dental care -- it's a major problem in this county.

I'm all about the ethics of the yin and yang of issues lately. I think some of us often forget the unintended consequences of our passionate beliefs. Fluoride is a cheap fix for a complex problem. I'm not a particular fan of fluoridated water, but I'd take it over the knowledge that a five year old needs $450 before she can have an abcess treated (her physician did give antibiotics to control the infection, but the nerve is still exposed), and her parents are service industry workers who won't be able to come up with that kind of money until the season gets back in swing. In the meantime, she's in terrible pain. If you really hate the idea of fluoride, I just encourage you to actively do something to help these children -- whether it's giving to CVHN or working to improve the diets of local children (Kendra with the IFAS Extension service is working on a slow food project you could get involved with). If you do choose the more difficult row to hoe, I have nothing but respect and support for your position on fluoride.

Rapunzel -

Well put!

I totally understand your point. And I believe I've donated to your effort in the past. It's sad to me that our government is so concerned with their "investment portfolio" that they fail to recognize their most important asset - the next generation. Kind of sums up the point of "you can't take it with you".

Good point about Fresh Market, although I think some healthy options are readily available at the lower cost chains. Unfortunately, sugar is "shoved down the throat" of our children by way of marketing, causing many adverse health effects that go unrecognized. (My child eats little to no candy, regardless of "holidays from health";-))

There are undeniable benefits and dangers in fluoride, but adding it to the public water system is called government control. (I understand you're not an advocate of this). This is where we need a form of government option - aka help, so the individual has the resources they need without affecting the whole population. But like you said, it's a tough row to hoe!

Thank you for your volunteer effort. Some of us understand that the beach life is a fairy tale.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
I grew up taking fluoride tablets because our rural well water wasn't fluoridated, then moved to a "city area" where our water had flouride in it.

Amazingly, I have good teeth and have not suffered major health problems or needed a new age cleanse to correct this craziness. :roll:

P.S. Most people need a severe reality check as to what dangerous stuff in their water REALLY is. If it's plentiful, clear and you don't have to strain floaties or sediment out of it, you are doing better than most of the planet!

That's one of the reasons I live here - clean water.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
My teen-age son spent much of his life, and all of his early years, drinking (unfluoridated) well water - and has not had one single cavity. I was raised on the citified, fluoridated stuff and have a mouthful of silver. Go figure. :dunno:

If you want fluoride, by all means add it to your own water, but please leave mine alone.

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
My teen-age son spent much of his life, and all of his early years, drinking (unfluoridated) well water - and has not had one single cavity. I was raised on the citified, fluoridated stuff and have a mouthful of silver. Go figure. :dunno:

If you want fluoride, by all means add it to your own water, but please leave mine alone.[/QUOTE]

I agree - My wingnut doctor also agrees :wave:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I grew up taking fluoride tablets because our rural well water wasn't fluoridated, then moved to a "city area" where our water had flouride in it.

Amazingly, I have good teeth and have not suffered major health problems or needed a new age cleanse to correct this craziness. :roll:

P.S. Most people need a severe reality check as to what dangerous stuff in their water REALLY is. If it's plentiful, clear and you don't have to strain floaties or sediment out of it, you are doing better than most of the planet!

great point Scooty.

If you want fluoride, by all means add it to your own water, but please leave mine alone.

the ADA still heavily supports use of fluoride as a preventive measure and so does every dentist I've ever seen, including recent high tech offices we're visiting with my son. doesn't mean they are 100% correct. just that they still insist on the benefits. and IMO, they are the experts. in fact, a local dentist spoke to me recently about how bottled water is causing an increase in cavities in children since we are now drinking mostly bottled water and are not getting the fluoridated water very frequently.

really, I believe it boils down to dental care at home, regular dental care in the hands of a dentist and hygienist, and you are either blessed with good teeth or you are not. my family grew up on a well system.. I had a ton of cavities. my sister has never had one. my brothers had quite a few. 3 of us suffered from cavities and one did not. we still give her hail to this day because she brushed her teeth, but not as religiously as the rest of us, because she knew she was not getting cavities and she didn't. she ended up with gum disease where the rest of us have healthy gums. who knows.

I believe fluoridation does help based on professional dentists and their experiences. but not sure how effective it is, or how harmful. at this point, I'm still trusting my dentist. he and she have had much experience. and btw, we have quite a few excellent dentists in SoWal and Walton County in general, Destin, FWB and PCB. we always have, and now we have even more choices.

oh, and thanks Skunky! your points are very well stated.

Last edited:

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
I worked as a Dentist in the Philadelphia school system when I graduated Dental School. Philadelphia was one of the first communities to add fluoride to its drinking water. I could tell when I examined a student that had been raised outside Philadelphia. Not only did they have a higher incidence of decay, but the decay was more likely to destroy more tooth structure - it is called rampant caries.

Many areas in the US, particularly the Southwest have fluoride naturally in their water. It was discovered because it causes discolored teeth in extremely high concentrations. See the following link.

The Story of Fluoridation

My children received partial fluoride supplements when growing up. Our home was on well water, but the school was on a fluoridated city water supply. Now in their late 20s between the both of them they have had only one cavity. No reputable study has ever found any link between fluoride and disease when added to water in proper concentration.

Last edited:

Dia

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2008
www.imagesbydia.com
The elementary schools give you the option of giving your child fluoride throughout the school year. I don't remember how often. This was as of 2 years ago. I don't know if the program is ongoing.

They do a fluoride rinse once a week. (if the child is signed up)

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
....this explains alot. Thats all I'm sayin'!