• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dgsevier

Beach Fanatic
Thanks very much for the clarification! So what's the concensus? Is it worth taking the SAT in the 10th grade or early 11th grade before the student has been exposed to all the higher math concepts he will learn by the end of the 11th grade? Is the experience worth the risk of a lower math score?

BTW - I took the SAT four times and fully appreciate that taking the test multiple times is beneficial.

Thanks to all who have input. This is a timely topic for my family.

The answer is "it depends."
1. Is your child trying to gain entrance to a school that has a flat admission policy tied to a minimum SAT/ACT score? If so, then there is not too much benefit derived from multiple administrations of the exam. Once the admission bar has been jumped then rarely will it help to try to jump over it again.

2.Is your child trying to gain admission to a selective school? If so, what role does this test play? Every school is different. I will tell you from too many years of experience that schools like these are much more interested in knowing that your child is interested in THAT school. Make yourself known to them at every available opportunity. Visit the campus multiple times and ALWAYS let the admissions office know you are on campus. You can't expect to get credit if they don't know you are there. Also, let them know that they are not just your first choice - they are your only choice (even if this may not be fully the case). Just like people - schools want to be wanted. They want to bet on those students who will not only start, but will finish as well.
For these schools, the SAT scores is but one part of an oftentimes complex algorithm and moving admissions target based on grades, scores, extra-curriculars, socio-economics, geography, and just about anything else the Board of Trust can cook up.

My advise. Find out explicitly what the school wants and work to meet these criteria.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Thanks very much for the clarification! So what's the concensus? Is it worth taking the SAT in the 10th grade or early 11th grade before the student has been exposed to all the higher math concepts he will learn by the end of the 11th grade? Is the experience worth the risk of a lower math score?

BTW - I took the SAT four times and fully appreciate that taking the test multiple times is beneficial.

Our school district offers 3 week summer prep courses to those who want practice. The course can be taken by students who would be incoming Freshmen (not many that age take it) and on up through high school grade levels. It involves instruction in Math, Language Arts, vocabulary etc. and teaches them how to take the test. In this course they give a test on the first day and then divide the kids into study groups according to the level they were at on that test. Then tested at the end to see improvement. These scores are just for students own benefit.

Our daughter took that between 8th and 9th grade, then took another prep course through the school district last summer and into the fall of last year (her Junior year). The school also offers PSAT testing during the school year which she took.

The kids start to feel tested to death between that and Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) testing within the schools. :roll:

She took SAT in February and will take it one more time. Not planning on taking the ACT.

I have read where more universities are putting less emphasis on the standardized testing in their acceptance policies. I hope that continues! Jackie does well testing but it shows little of what she is all about!

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I know this is off-topic, but isn't the guidance office supposed to be helping the parents, not the other way around? Maybe we should just make guidance a volunteer office at the school.

In theory, yes. But we have one official guidance counselor for about 550 kids, and no money in the budget for another. Many other schools like us have had to create this resource, so we are going to help with the college counseling.

The most immediate issue is making sure the kids interested in college are aware and registered for test dates. So many kids are waiting to test, and many have missed deadlines for specific college admissions, and unfortunately, Bright Futures scholarships. We are trying to catch these kids before the deadlines come and go.

There are about 10-15 parents that are going to be involved in this project!:clap:

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I just wanted to thank jdarg for digging this up for us (and for her tireless work in improving our school :clap:). The guidance office does a good job, but their communication is typically with the students themselves. We all know how well high schoolers share information with their parents. :roll:

One question - do they offer test dates in the fall as well, or just spring? I would be much more comfortable with my sophomore's first attempt at either or both tests to be this fall, at the beginning of his junior year, than right now.

dgsevier

Beach Fanatic
Now that the parents are mobilized it would be great to continue the momentum with a workshop dedicated to filling out the FAFSA form. If this hasn't been done it's a great way to assist in the financial aid process. This paperwork can be daunting for many.

I've seen too many cases through the years where a student was well qualified academically, but was unable to pull together the financing to go to the next level only because the appropriate paperwork was not in place.

I am almost certain that a rep from the community college would come out and do the workshop. They would just need to be asked.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I have read where more universities are putting less emphasis on the standardized testing in their acceptance policies. I hope that continues!

They look at a variety of things - GPA, extracurriculars, recommendations from teachers and alumni, types/difficulty of classes, etc to get a sense of the "whole" student, but test scores are still very important.

The idea is that a well-rounded student w/ good scores is preferable to a one dimensional/uninvolved student w/ great test scores, but certain minimal standards still apply.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Now that the parents are mobilized it would be great to continue the momentum with a workshop dedicated to filling out the FAFSA form. If this hasn't been done it's a great way to assist in the financial aid process. This paperwork can be daunting for many.

I've seen too many cases through the years where a student was well qualified academically, but was unable to pull together the financing to go to the next level only because the appropriate paperwork was not in place.

I am almost certain that a rep from the community college would come out and do the workshop. They would just need to be asked.

Our school coordinated a Community College representative to talk about FAFSA at a College Night at our HS.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I just wanted to thank jdarg for digging this up for us (and for her tireless work in improving our school :clap:). The guidance office does a good job, but their communication is typically with the students themselves. We all know how well high schoolers share information with their parents. :roll:

One question - do they offer test dates in the fall as well, or just spring? I would be much more comfortable with my sophomore's first attempt at either or both tests to be this fall, at the beginning of his junior year, than right now.

Quite a few parents saw a need for this help, and thankfully we have several on board who have been through the college process are are in the middle of it.

This is definitely on the to-do list.

Thanks!

Our school coordinated a Community College representative to talk about FAFSA at a College Night at our HS.

I know the school has done this in the past- we are going to work on improving the number of families that get the info.

Thanks everyone for sharing the ideas! Many of us came from larger, more competitive districts or had experience with private or parochial schools that had college resource departments. I always assumed there would be plenty of help as well, but after talking to quite a few parents, it became obvious that we would have to help to take it to the next level- with the goal being ensuring that every student interested in pursuing college has the access to every necessary component of the college process- from planning the most effective high school schedule 9-12, college board testing, admissions help, financial aid, etc.

I know this is off-topic, but isn't the guidance office supposed to be helping the parents, not the other way around? Maybe we should just make guidance a volunteer office at the school.
We found that we couldn't depend on the guidance counselor. Parents have their child's best interests in mind more that the counselors do.

My son is in the 10th grade and has taken only the PSAT. I wonder how closely it resembles the SAT. My knowledge of ACT is very limited, but I know I will need to learn.

I recall when I was applying to colleges in the UGA system, only the highest SAT score was evaluated, as opposed to an average of all scores. Is that the common way scores are evaluated or does it vary by school?
Some schools use the highest of each part, others use the highest on a particular test date.
I strongly encourage you to have your kids take these tests several times.

My friends and I took them so many times (to test them for companies, the PSAT, both the ACT and SAT because of different college requirements) that they became old hat - and our scores were higher because of the reduced stress, the repetition, and taking the higher scores.
Yes, take them as often as possible. In our case our daughter made the score she needed on the SAT on the second try her junior year. So her senior year she focused on SAT II's.

The math part is advanced algebra, geometry, precalc, and a little probability/statistics. I'd wait until the 11th grade.

If you can afford a second residence, no matter how humble, you child will not get any need-based aid. We stressed over the FAFSA the first time. We were told that we could afford $99,999 a year for tuition/board/fees (yeah, right). That's just because a 5-digit number was the largest possible on the form. BTW we are blessed, but we aren't wealthy by any means. So if you are in that category, don't take it too seriously.

Parents, there are two things you need to understand.

1. You really need to help your child keep track of the deadlines. I was overwhelmed by it all, and I am a college professor. So how can a 17-year-old keep track of all of this? Our daughter was applying to the Ivys and MIT, so she had to take three SAT II's (English, math, physics). I was busy at work and forgot the registration deadline for the third one -- a day late. I couldn't register her online for obvious reasons. So I filled out the mail-in form and drove to a very small town's post office (at a gas station) and asked the little old lady there to post-date their date stamp by one day. She agreed. If daughter hadn't taken that SAT II, she wouldn't have even been considered at the Ivys and MIT.

2. You parents of 6th graders need to plan out your child's path in math if they want to apply to a top-10 school in engineering or architecture and take the SAT II in physics. That means they need to have completed calc-based physics their junior year, which means they need calculus in the 10th grade, precalc in the 9th grade, and geometry and advanced algebra in the 7th/8th grades. In other words, they need to skip a grade in math if they are on that track. We didn't get that until it was too late. So daughter took calculus and non-calc-based physics concurrently her junior year. The summer after her junior year we hired a Kaplan tutor to get her ready for the SAT II in physics. It was worth the money. She got in the schools she wanted!

In summary, my advice is be your child's advocate, help him/her keep track of deadlines, plan out the math courses when they are in the 6th grade, and encourage them to take the SAT/SAT II as often as possible until they get the score they need.

Last edited: