• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
What's with the 4 x 8' signs in front of a house on 30-A between 395 and Tom Thumb advertising (in hand lettering) " Designer Sunglasses - $10 Bucks "? These are on the right of way and there is a fold up table with their wares exhibited also. He was there last week-end, down for the week and back this week-end. I think we have some renters at that house who are here to work and making some extra money on the week-end. Convenient since Code Enforcement doesn't work on the week-end. :bang:
I called the Sherrif's office, twice, but got the run around. I thought since this was supposed to be a Scenic Corridor (?) there were sign ordinances. Also wouldn't a permit be needed and a safety hazard exist with cars slowing and pulling over? Please e-mail code enforcement at this address- harkevin@co.walton.fl.us .
View attachment 12087

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
It really does tacky up the place, doesn't it?

Why won't the Sheriff's office do anything? It's illegal to sell things on the side of the road, no? It's also illegal to sell fake designer goods.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
It really does tacky up the place, doesn't it?

Why won't the Sheriff's office do anything? It's illegal to sell things on the side of the road, no? It's also illegal to sell fake designer goods.

Wouldn't you have figured this to be a no-brainer for the Sheriff???? Two calls didn't seem to illicite any response. Your tax dollars at work!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
It is not illegal to sell things on the side of the road, as long as you have the proper vendor permits in place. Assuming that they do not, it's for Code Enforcement to figure out, not the Sheriff's Office. (Hint: even if they don't work on weekends, they would probably love to see the sign, and the address of the house it's in front of.)

Now, if the perps are running out into the middle of 30A in front of cars trying to hawk their goods, I'd call the SO about that as it would be a nuisance and safety issue.

Unfortunately, just being tacky isn't illegal.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
It is not illegal to sell things on the side of the road, as long as you have the proper vendor permits in place. Assuming that they do not, it's for Code Enforcement to figure out, not the Sheriff's Office. (Hint: even if they don't work on weekends, they would probably love to see the sign, and the address of the house it's in front of.)

Now, if the perps are running out into the middle of 30A in front of cars trying to hawk their goods, I'd call the SO about that as it would be a nuisance and safety issue.

I have sent an e-mail to Kevin (CE) with the address and the photo. I consider the location, causing cars to slow down and trying to pull over to park, a safety issue. Does't Scenic Corridor designation hae anything to say about these types of situations? And what about Rapunzels point about selling knock-offs?

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I have sent an e-mail to Kevin (CE) with the address and the photo. I consider the location, causing cars to slow down and trying to pull over to park, a safety issue. Does't Scenic Corridor designation hae anything to say about these types of situations? And what about Rapunzels point about selling knock-offs?

A Scenic Corridor designation shouldn't involve the WCSO in any shape, form or fashion. As far as knock-offs, I would think that someone would have to prove they actually are knock-offs and file a complaint that they were defrauded. Even then it might still be a civil matter.

However, I will ask my investigator what he thinks. I would agree that something smells fishy; I'm just not sure it's criminal.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

There's a fine line between knock-offs and counterfeit. Do you really want the Sheriff's department getting sued, again, if they don't qualify as counterfeit goods?

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach

Swgb, I've found your next sig. :lol:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Just using the term "Designer" doesn't constitute counterfeiting. And any person vain enough to sport a pair of Vera Wan'g "designer" sunglasses that they purchased for $10 from a card table on the roadside and later claim they've been "ripped off" should be arrested for being stupid in public.

Last edited: