• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
The above post is my question. i called some termite places and they were very ambigious wether they would give a damage warranty or not. If i'm going to spend 1k or more to get the foundation treated i'm sure as heck going to demand a damage warranty. On the above note did buzz do the foundation treatment? If so why would he not give you a damage warranty?Also who are some other reputable pest control companies outside buzz?

Beaudroix

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Miramar Beach
Hometeam dug a 2' deep trench around the house & drilled holes in the concrete in my garage storage and water heater closet, filled it full of chemicals and it has done nothing. These things are wearing this house out.:bang:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Have you tried borate? Supposedly it keeps termites away if the wood is treated w/ a borate based solution or you sprinkle a borax based detergent around.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
The word I heard from Buzz woodham was that because our house was on pilings that they would only treat around all the pilings but would not warrant any damage as the termites could go up inside the piling. They are obviously pressure treated.

When they asked if I wanted to pay the fee to renew my coverage for a year I clarified that there really was no coverage. A retreatment warrantee to me means they did a lousy job the first time. I did not renew but will have someone check again in a year and get another treatment then if needed.

Beaudroix

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Miramar Beach
Thru trial and error, I poured some Olive Oil on some of the termites I caught and it killed them instantly. I pulled over a pest control tech the other day and asked him about the olive oil and he said that any oil based product would kill them but he asked "how do you get the oil to the nest?" I answered just like you get all of your other chemicals thru houses when you treat them. He did not reply... If you could make a small capsule made out of fiber board, fill it with olive oil, then let the workers take the capsule back to the nest and at some point they have to eat it? Thoughts?

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Thru trial and error, I poured some Olive Oil on some of the termites I caught and it killed them instantly. I pulled over a pest control tech the other day and asked him about the olive oil and he said that any oil based product would kill them but he asked "how do you get the oil to the nest?" I answered just like you get all of your other chemicals thru houses when you treat them. He did not reply... If you could make a small capsule made out of fiber board, fill it with olive oil, then let the workers take the capsule back to the nest and at some point they have to eat it? Thoughts?

Call a professional. Again I'd reccomend terminix. My policy (on a house that has been attacked once) is less than 350 a year to renew and they cover everything, including damage.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I would guess the oil worked by suffocation rather than by ingestion - just a guess due to the fact that horticultural oils are often used to suffocate eggs of insect pests on plants.

Interesting observation Beaudroix!

A few years back a Forest Service fellow was doing research using catnip oil to repel/kill termites. Hopefully you can kill the ones you have somehow and then maybe plant catnip herbs around your foundation... ;)

Wouldn't complete coverage be hard with the olive oil?

Last edited:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Lynnie - did you confirm w/ Budd that he will for sure cover the Formosa Termite?

Hey, I lost this thread for a minute. Sorry, Y'all.

Yes, Buzz can bond for formosas, but there is a list he has to cover - one item on the list will preclude him from covering it for you.

It's worth a phone call to him and he is such a nice man! Good luck!!;-)