• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
We have Sprint and have had no trouble with it. I once talked from the Home Depot in Destin all the way back to Seagrove Beach and the line was clear the whole time. (It was my mother. :D )

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Sprint is good for me, family, and family's co-workers. I get a small dropout on 98 at Camp Helen, otherwise good all along 98 and from Grayton east on 30A. I don't spend as much time west of Grayton, so I can't recall how it is there.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
I get horrible reception w/Sprint all over 30-a...have to go to 98 to get signal ...how old is your phone?...Red

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Cell phone coverage in NW Florida is a whole story in itself. AllTel is still by far the best coverage, even out into the gulf. They were the only cell phone system serving the area for a long time, even to the point of locking out the other providers. Then AllTel over-extended and went bankrupt. They closed most of their offices and then suddenly reorganised with funding from some of the other providers, who (poof!) got instant acess to the area.

The best bet, especially if you are living there, is to get an AllTel 'pay as you go' phone (that's what I use down there now) from a wal-mart or drug store in the area you will mostly be in - you just buy a set number of minutes on a phone card and put them into the phone. It's cheap, so if it falls overboard it dosen't matter. There is no contract, no phone insurance and its a easy no frills solution.

If you are just visiting, keep your real phone for back home and reload the 'Florida Phone' minutes for the next trip. The AllTel phone also works in Gatlinburg and other areas where the other phones don't, but may use 'double minutes' sometimes in those areas.

Last edited:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
redfisher said:
I get horrible reception w/Sprint all over 30-a...have to go to 98 to get signal ...how old is your phone?...Red

Well, that's the funny thing--the phone's almost 2 years old and it's pretty basic.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Redfisher:

Mine is truly antique - A Sanyo SCP-4500 from 1999 or 2000, I think. The other Sprint phone in the family is a year-old Treo. Both are good all along the east half of 30A, but the Treo will roam here at home in Seagrove once in a blue moon. Sounds like your problem could be more phone than Sprint.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
We have 4 family phones on Sprint and have had very good luck around Seaside/Grayton etc. Great signal on the beach as well.

PEARL

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
carbondale, co.
I have Verizon, and get NO signal along 30-A, spotty up to 98. My phone's only a year old, but not an expensive one. Does the phone make that much difference?

Cap'nCrazy

Beach Lover
Dec 18, 2005
Pittsburgh/Watercolor
PEARL said:
I have Verizon, and get NO signal along 30-A, spotty up to 98. My phone's only a year old, but not an expensive one. Does the phone make that much difference?

I have an LG brand phone and am on the Verizon network also. I get basic phone reception most places around Grayton, Watercolor, Seaside, but cannot send or receive blackberry email until I'm up on 98 most of the time. Occasionally, my email will post when I'm at the third floor bar at the Watercolor Beach Club, so guess where I spend the days when I need to get my email?????

:lol:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Cap'nCrazy said:
Occasionally, my email will post when I'm at the third floor bar at the Watercolor Beach Club, so guess where I spend the days when I need to get my email?????

:lol:

Cap'nCrazy, I can just hear you say "And that's my story and I'm sticking to it." :funn: