• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gr8mom

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Little Rock
We'll be visiting Cottages at Camp Creek soon, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on where we can ride our road bikes. I wasn't sure if most of the area was actually more accomodating for mountain bikes. Any help would be appreciated!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
There is a paved bike path that runs the length of 30-A and is a fun and pretty ride. I would also suggest riding your bikes through Watersound or other nearby developments for fun.

pennstater

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2005
NJ/Inlet Beach
We'll be visiting Cottages at Camp Creek soon, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on where we can ride our road bikes. I wasn't sure if most of the area was actually more accomodating for mountain bikes. Any help would be appreciated!

I actually get more grief from drivers on 30A than Manhattan commuter traffic. Early Sunday mornings aren't too bad. The path has sections suitable to an 18 MPH pace, but many areas particularly in Seagrove and Seaside have too many pedestrians, driveways, and cross streets with poor line of site to the bike path to maintain that pace.

I have taken 30A east to 98 then east to Carillon. Bear right onto scenic 98 along the Panama City Beach. With the exception of a stretch of bridge on 98 it is a wide road with a shoulder in many places and good line of site. It must be about 20 miles to the end.

If you have the courage (or maybe questionable sanity like me), I have ridden from the west end of the 30A bike path onto 98 which has a 55 MPH speed limit for about 2 miles until there is a sidewalk on 98 and a back road into the Sandestin community.

I have biked over the 331 bridge - and don't recommend it. But if you do you can hook up with a lot of back roads.

All these rides have been on a road bike with 700x23 tires. Watch out for sand that's washed onto the path. Also contact Big Daddy's bike shop. I think they have a list of rides further north.

Other than that, exploring through the many communities and spurs off the bike path are great for a more leisurely pace.

Last edited:

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
:blink: That's some serious biking!

I have only biked between Watersound and Seaside (and that's not been done all in one trip!). I do ride a beach cruiser with a basket and bell so I'm not exactly the serious biker! I hope to add tassles to my handlebars this year!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I ride my bike on the bike path all the time and rarely have problems. I'm not at spandex speeds, but I am riding w/ purpose.

Being aware of your surroundings/where you are riding goes a long way IMO.

The new signage should also improve the situation, along w/ their increased focus on keeping the foliage trimmed along the path.

btanner

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2006
Knoxville, Tn

When are you coming down? We are staying in the cottages the first week of May and I am hoping to do some riding. Never stayed in these before so I hope they are nice. The price seemed almost too good to be true!

gr8mom

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Little Rock
When are you coming down? We are staying in the cottages the first week of May and I am hoping to do some riding. Never stayed in these before so I hope they are nice. The price seemed almost too good to be true!

We've never stayed there before either...we're going to be there the last week of March. My husband takes riding much more seriously than I do, so it sounds like we'll both be able to find a place to ride that suits us.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Get some balloon tires, and you can ride between Grayton and Seagrove like Scooter did a while back. I think it works out to a week of exercise in 45 minutes!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I would strongly advise against Front Beach Road (East of Carillon) during the time you will be here. It is the height of spring break and even sober they're not the best of drivers or courteous.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
There are some decent logging roads in Point Washington and Pine Log state forests if you're a mountain-biker. You just need to check if it's hunting season first.

Dragon sports has some north of the bay route maps up, including a nice loop through the Freeport area:

Dragon Sports

There's also the bike course route for Ironman Florida:

Bike Map

Though I would definitely skip the part of it along Front Beach Road in Panama City Beach for safety concerns, and you should also know that the pavement along Hwy 388 can be rough on the saddle area.

If you like group rides, get in touch for Robin's Bicycles in Miramar Beach.