• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
how many times a year are alligators spoted on the beach on 30-a?grayton beach has beware of alligators sign near a dune lake.Has anyone ever heard of a gator attacking a person on 30-a?

Other than man attacking gator, I know of only one which happened in the Pandora's parking lot, but it started by a particular person trying to wrestle the gator.

4dogs

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
gator death

The truth is any gator over 4ft that is captured is killed. The trapper makes his money this way. They get to sell the hide and meat.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Geo, thanks for posting the pics. I'm sorry to hear of the fate of the poor guy. Maybe I missed something, but shouldn't there be a non-profit way to handle them and get them to a place where they can find food and live?

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Sheesh. The poor dude was just surfing. I know other folk over 4 ft. who will surf and alternately bum food off tourists or threaten to bite them, and nobody skins them and eats them.

It's not like he sat on a private beach or left his tent out there.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Sheesh. The poor dude was just surfing. I know other folk over 4 ft. who will surf and alternately bum food off tourists or threaten to bite them, and nobody skins them and eats them.

It's not like he sat on a private beach or left his tent out there.

Thank you. I think I could get really worked up over this, but alas, I'm all the way in Texas. :bang:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
The pictures of the surfing alligator made me so happy every time I thought of them today. I am so depressed to find out he's probably dead already.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Ok, unless I was told some BS, which I hope not, according to the very nice officer answering calls at the WCSO dispatch the gator has been relocated.:clap:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Well, that's what I heard but I want pictures and updates as proof positive. A postcard would be a nice addition. But, the postcard is probably just as forthcoming as the relocation. :roll:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Well, that's what I heard but I want pictures and updates as proof positive. A postcard would be a nice addition. But, the postcard is probably just as forthcoming as the relocation. :roll:

A postcard from Mr. Gator? :blink: (That would be awesome.)

I'm with you, too, Punzy. Maybe I watched too much Crocodile Hunter, but I got a real kick out of the surfing Gator. I knew they were freshwater beasties, too, and that they can't hang out there long, but the article STILL reminded me of me--I get tired and my eyes get red from a long day in the ocean, too. I'm mildly allergic to seafood, but it's tasty on vacation.

I'm really not going to get all upset, but I was alarmed by the tying of his legs over his back, too. That looked awfully uncomfortable.

I'm also still not quite used to the fact that they're not endangered anymore. They're unique to our part of the world, and I hate to hear of them slaughtered.