• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JSSTMK

Beach Lover
Apr 24, 2008
The average local that works here for a living needs a break from the restaurant food prices. We can not even go to lunch for less than $10-$15 around here. We can never pick up supper for the family without driving 20 miles. Give us a break!!! or some of you big bucks! It is easy to stand on principles when you are loaded.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
You CAN go to lunch for less than $10-15 - just depends on where you go and what you order.

I'm not current on my specials at local restaurants (I bring my lunch rather than eating out due to the economy) but there are places all over 30-A that are not only reasonably priced, but feature daily specials and local's discounts - making them a much better deal and a much better meal than Taco Hell or McDonald's.

Flip Flops, Hurricane, Fire, Publix, Coffee House, Don Pablo's, Jambone, Village Market etc.

Modica's posts their lunch specials on Sowal, Bruno's used to have pizza, salad, bev for $6, Amore had a drink, GOOD salad, and half a pizza for $8 ....

Not saying some places prices aren't a bit high, but there ARE quite a few options.

Last edited:

Winnie

Beach Fanatic
Jul 22, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
The average local that works here for a living needs a break from the restaurant food prices. We can not even go to lunch for less than $10-$15 around here. We can never pick up supper for the family without driving 20 miles. Give us a break!!! or some of you big bucks! It is easy to stand on principles when you are loaded.

This issue has the same smell as the "big blue sign" issue last year.

If you feel strongly about allowing restaurants with drive-thru, I think you should show up at the meetings and voice your opinion. If you can't make the meetings, you can e-mail, write, or visit your commissioner to let them know your feelings.

Maybe more citizens want drive-thru than don't, but which ever side voices their opinion to the commissioners most are the ones likely to get their way.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other. Maybe a compromise, like only on Highway 98 or north of it. I agree with you about the cost of dining out though. It seems like Cattle Company was the last inexpensive place to dine out for supper. It is more convenient (and less expensive) to stop by the grocery and get something easy to prepare than to order take-out or drive all the way to Miramar.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
You can easily feed 3-4 people on less than $10 from the Publix Deli section.

How are prices at the taquerita next to Jambone's? Those places tend to be fast food-priced in larger cities.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Last week, Fuzz and I ate at a local favorite (don't want to name names here as I'm thinking it has got to be a simple mistake).

Because we are reeling from the extra expense a 16-year-old male driver brings to our family plus a couple of unmet medical deductibles, we chose to order one of the least expensive menu options - hamburgers. On the board, a hamburger + fries was advertised at $7.95.

I didn't really look at my receipt - which I didn't keep the itemized receipt - or the debit card charge until a few minutes ago. Somehow, two hamburgers + fries + sweet tea came to $26.65. :eek:

The hamburgers were grayt ;-) but that will teach me to study what I'm ordering a little closer, as the catfish basket was what I really wanted and surely for almost $27 I could have worked that in...

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Last week, Fuzz and I ate at a local favorite (don't want to name names here as I'm thinking it has got to be a simple mistake).

Because we are reeling from the extra expense a 16-year-old male driver brings to our family plus a couple of unmet medical deductibles, we chose to order one of the least expensive menu options - hamburgers. On the board, a hamburger + fries was advertised at $7.95.

I didn't really look at my receipt - which I didn't keep the itemized receipt - or the debit card charge until a few minutes ago. Somehow, two hamburgers + fries + sweet tea came to $26.65. :eek:

That's about right--the sweet tea is $5 each.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

Is it drive thru fast food you want, or just more reasonably priced food?

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Every once in a great while I have a craving for a McRib. When I do, I'll get a package of Gardenburger veggie riblets, which almost exactly the McRib's spongy texture and oddly sweet BBQ sauce, and which is probably far better for me from a health standpoint.