• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
yes -- you're on to me now. Hafta go -- Carl Bernstein on line two.

:clap::clap::clap:Love the sense of humor:clap::clap::clap:

If I may, I would recommend meeting at the parking garage at the Sanctuary at Redfish in Blue Mountain as it's near to the middle of 30-A and is relatively empty all the time.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Last year I posted that I saw Jessica Simpson at Bud and Alley's and the paparazzi contacted me for more info. Apparently, our gator and his story have a national appeal too.

A reporter contacted me and wants to know if he can utilize my photos and interview me for a story to run in the Washington DC area.

Without overanalyzing this I am inclined to give him whatever he wants.

That said, do you guys think this is contributing to what could end up being a story that could end up being harmful to tourism or at least that has the potential to scare masses of people?

Sharks, gators and snakes seem to bring out irrational emotions/fears.

Let me know your thoughts. I haven't responded yet to the reporter's request.

G

Hard call, anytime you deal with the public you are going to get opposing views and some will feel very strongly about those views even to the point of being rude in trying to shove their view down your throat.

Some will think saving the Gator is the thing to do and some will see him as nuisance that has the potentional to harm pets and children and even adults and needs to be destroyed before that happens.

Just don't be shocked at the reaction you may recieve.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Hard call, anytime you deal with the public you are going to get opposing views and some will feel very strongly about those views even to the point of being rude in trying to shove their view down your throat.

Some will think saving the Gator is the thing to do and some will see him as nuisance that has the potentional to harm pets and children and even adults and needs to be destroyed before that happens.

Just don't be shocked at the reaction you may recieve.

At that risk of being rude and shoving my view down anyone's throat. I feel very strongly about my view. I do not see the need to destroy any living creature that is NOT harming anyone. I am not a lover of rats, snakes, spiders, or anything else that could possibly harm me. But I also don't want them all destroyed just because some may see them as a "nuisance" and could possibly hurt me or anyone else. I guess these same people would want all the sharks in the ocean destroyed as well, before they hurt someone. I just don't get it. Hell, I was attacked by a monkey, but I didn't want him destroyed. Still don't.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
At that risk of being rude and shoving my view down anyone's throat. I feel very strongly about my view. I do not see the need to destroy any living creature that is NOT harming anyone. I am not a lover of rats, snakes, spiders, or anything else that could possibly harm me. But I also don't want them all destroyed just because some may see them as a "nuisance" and could possibly hurt me or anyone else. I guess these same people would want all the sharks in the ocean destroyed as well, before they hurt someone. I just don't get it. Hell, I was attacked by a monkey, but I didn't want him destroyed. Still don't.

You are not being rude at all and my reference truly does not include anyone that has posted to this forum. It was simply a reference about what can happen when a local story goes national, nothing more. I had already stated I hope they save the gator.

Last edited:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

I don't mean to sound rude, either...
...but I still laugh whenever I think about you being attacked by that tiny monkey! :funn:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
My turn...FTLOC! :rotfl:

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
Monkeys and other discussions aside ... I'm sorry what seemed like a simple request has turned into a big debate. Look, we're going to run something on the story one way or the other. Not a big story ...not a sensational story .. but a small little story that says, "hey can you believe this?" It's interesting. The only question remaining is whether we will have the best pictures and I'm hoping Mr. Geo will allow us to use his images.

I -- like you -- have a great affection for the 30A corridor and the beaches of South Walton County. I own a house there. I have no interest if scaring off tourists -- or freaking people out. I do have in interest in showing my audience something that fascinated me and that I had never seen before. Like you -- I'm pretty sure they are going to find it interesting.

All the best gang -- I'll be back down among you in just a few more days. Can't wait.

bdub

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
Give him the photos. I would think that the emphasis will be more on saving the big guy rather than scaring tourists. Letting the public know that these animals getting killed, rather than rescued........ might make a difference. I can't begin to imagine how many gators on golf courses and other places get hauled off and killed instead of set free.........NOT FAIR! Save the gators! If they are being aggressive and harming people or doggies and kitties, that might be different. But when they are minding their own business..... they don't deserve to die.