• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

water girl

Beach Comber
Feb 25, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Gator Story Clairified

BTW...wasn't it this Keen guy that first reported the gator to the authorities?[/quote]

Miss Kitty,
The Sherrif Department had been called the night before about the gator. They came out the next morning try to capture it. Keen happened to be walking out to the beach and saw the activity. He called the Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge and the Walton Sun to make sure the alligator got a fair shake rather than just getting shot on the spot. Keen and George are buddies and coordinated the Fox interview that was going to be a "save the gator" campaign. By the time Fox was going on air with it, the gator had already been put down, so they changed the angle of the story.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Given the recent behavior of folks around here, we need to change the rule so that a phone call isn't an instant death sentence for a wild animal! :blink:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
:welcome:back and what a great post!

"I happened to be putting up clothes, FOX was on and it caught my ear (so to speak)." :rotfl:...are you sure it didn't catch your REAR?

BTW...wasn't it this Keen guy that first reported the gator to the authorities?

:wave:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Amazing what you find when you aren't looking.

"Save the Gator, eat the Cod" One of our beloved members is working on a new bumper sticker and it ain't me! :roll:

p.s. Not much private out here in internet land! Touche'.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Amazing what you find when you aren't looking.

"Save the Gator, eat the Cod" One of our beloved members is working on a new bumper sticker and it ain't me! :roll:

p.s. Not much private out here in internet land! Touche'.

:angry:...that seems a bit rude to me. Sure seems to be some weird ju ju around here lately.

TimeIsFree

Beach Lover
Sep 25, 2008
i'd love to see a gator doing this, from a safe distance. they were here before us, and he didn't seem to be bothering anyone. i hope he got relocated.

as for the people thinking it was trapped in the surf, i truly doubt it. and for the ones who don't think gators can handle salt water, i can personally attest to the fact that they don't care about the salt water. i went gator hunting off the coast of Georgia last fall (AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!) and we got our gator in the intercoastal waterway marsh just off Cumberland Island. we saw tons of gators out there swimming around, way off the island. i've been to Cumberland, Jekyll, (and the Okeefenokee) all my life, but never saw any in the marshes until that night last fall. we harpooned a seven footer, and boy was it tasty!!!

Last edited: