• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Re: goodbye Seagrove Market

Looks like it belongs in Destin not 30A area. For those who love the simplicity of the area, it destoys all of that feeling.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

it will not be the same...note the emphasis is on "high end"--scruffy people who don't look decorative will be discouraged... I'm sad too...this does not look like the beach I know and love, but rather a glitzy NYC club (where are the developers putting the velvet ropes? Will the bar have bottle service and a VIP lounge? Will only certain beach attire be allowed? (sarcasm intended?)

What I love about Seagrove is its lack of pretension--this screams "conspicuous consumption" clear up to the "no edge pool..."" give me a break!!!

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound

Isn't that just so special? :pissed: :pissed:

Greed will eventually ruin all the things that made 30-A "paradise". If folks want the Ritz, let them go where they are. We like the simple, folksy atmosphere that we used to have all along 30-A.

Happy New Year!!!!

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton

I also love the old time feel of Old Seagrove and I'm worried that this project will be the start of a bad trend. If one condo building is allowed in Old Seagrove on a whole block of lots, in the middle of single family houses on small lots, then a precendent will be set. Will a second condo building then be allowed in on the beach across the street? I'm worried that before we know it developers will buy up multiple adjacent homes and lots along the beach, and build condos all along that stretch. Will Old Seagrove end up looking like Blue Mountain Beach?

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005

I may type this out and then erase it...when we were first down in sowal earlier in 2005 (our first experience), we ran into a gentleman who had lived there for 30 years. In our brief exchange, we said how beautiful we thought 30-A was. He was kind. He looked at us first as if to say nothing...then he said "You should have seen it 30 years ago." He described what he had known. To us, it was absolutely gorgeous...beautiful...now, but this was after Ivan...most of the dunes were gone...and there were beach houses on the "beach" side of 30-A...we though it was beautiful...with almost no dunes and with the beach houses gulf side...he though it had been spoiled. Progress, I guess, as with beauty, is in the eye of the beholder AT THE TIME! We are going down for Jan and Feb and looking forward to it...even in the "off season"...some, I guess, are already heart-broken and feel that paradise is lost. We feel we've just found it. It truly is in the eye of the beholder. I'll chance posting this reply just from our perspective...and so it goes...

Last edited:

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch

whitesands said:
...some, I guess, are already heart-broken and feel that paradise is lost. We feel we've just found it. It truly is in the eye of the beholder. I'll chance posting this reply just from our perspective...and so it goes...
Whitesands, say it! Perspective from all directions is good for all of us.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin

I must say, when I saw the article and picture in the paper, my first thought was, wow!, what a beautiful place this will be. There are lots of good reasons to go to 30a, and this will be another one.

But I don't have the same perspective a lot of you have. I've been in the Market many times. It doesn't really make me nostalgic to think it will be gone, or changed. But we've all probably had special places which have undergone changes, and it can be sad to see "progress" begin to alter our view of how things ought to be.

For people fairly new to the area, like me, this will be another development that is appealing and expected. For those who've been here longer, it's probably painful to see 30a changing so quickly and drastically. How you feel about it depends on when you got here.

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove

What I love about Seagrove is its lack of pretension.

We feel we've just found it. It truly is in the eye of the beholder.

WELL said, newyorker & whitesands!!

Like so many other things we deal with in life, it's mixed emotions for sure!!
It's sad in so many ways and I will miss it terribly. I am especially sad to think that my grandchildren are too young to remember "THE MARKET" and will never know & love it as we do. At the same time, we'll dust off our sandals and just keep on lovin' Seagrove and do our part to keep it unpretentious & beautiful for all those who will see it through fresh eyes!

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)

:sosad:

I have seen many changes in the past 18 years since I "found" Seagrove and I am becoming more and more sad each year.