• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
You're working with a vinyl or aluminum clad product if you have a flange. Wood units do not have flanges and so would need a different detail for a neighborhood such as Rosemary Beach.
Clad products are a lot easier because you can put caulk or the pink stuff behind the flange and press the flange right to the buck.

Nearly every job I have sold into Rosemary, the builders buy without any casing. They cut KDAT to fit the openings and back caulk them into place.

What is the saturated fabric you speak of and how is it attached to the window?

You're working with a vinyl or aluminum clad product if you have a flange. Wood units do not have flanges and so would need a different detail for a neighborhood such as Rosemary Beach.
Clad products are a lot easier because you can put caulk or the pink stuff behind the flange and press the flange right to the buck.

Nearly every job I have sold into Rosemary, the builders buy without any casing. They cut KDAT to fit the openings and back caulk them into place.

Great point on flanging. That is the Simpson H2.5 detail I mentioned earlier and my drawing mis-identified. The liquid waterproofing has a component for bridging seams that is a fabric the saturates well. It wants support for larger gaps and one might choose a caulk or backer rod for that if required. IMO it's wise to prime the surfaces once with the product to make it condusive for the application of the saturated fabric. I like to only work an area as big as can be applied wet. When we apply the fabric I like to run the liquid material then quickly apply the fabric by hand into the wet product then immediately follow up with another saturation over the top. If I pass and see someone working slowly I know they need some attention, because it will adhere best if it's applied to a wet edge. This assembly is an alternate to conventional flashing of those type of openings.

If you will envision the fabric for a moment, it starts it's connection at the window or door jamb and proceeds across the rough opening then across the buck and finally terminates after turning out onto the masonry. Stucco and trim conceal it.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
So it is held to the window frame like paper glued on. What is the brand of gooey stuff you are using?

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
You are probably pretty good at your profession and may perform administered work differently than the original Architect of Record on the job this Thread is about. The administered contract on this job was very different from anything that you have described. In this case the Architect was the designer, the co-ordinator of all professions and the inspector of the work. It was an AIA contract. The Architect of Record had their own licensed builder in house as their inspector and a retired engineer as additional eyes.

This Architect would create drawings with page inconsistencies, the builder of record would bring the discrepencies to the Architect via RFI's and the Architect would then charge the Owner for re-design.

I've seen a bunch of Architects put blame to a builder for their own error or ommission, that goes both ways, it's when a design professional knows the facts and shifts responsibility that they cross the line.

If this isn't a superb lesson in doe-passing, I don't know what is. A custom home has only one ultimately responsible party for seeing its appropriate completion.

The Home Owner.

If he is incompetent to do so, then he must place his trust in the team which is the Contractor, his subs, Architect, etc. he should, then, accept he has a very good chance of being shafted with a helical groove. Point: The Architect who is claiming fee work to redesign faulty plans. What bollocks. :yikes:
Let's make matters desperately worse. Near or on beach properties, inclimate weather, the Mother Lode Of Mother Nature (physics, biology and chemistry).

As developers, we have Contractors (staff) to watch Contractors (hired). As a custom Home Owner, I knew all my subcontrators employees by first name. It is my fuffy flank on the line in both business and homestead.

I kid ewe not.

If this isn't a superb lesson in doe-passing, I don't know what is. A custom home has only one ultimately responsible party for seeing its appropriate completion.

The Home Owner.

If he is incompetent to do so, then he must place his trust in the team which is the Contractor, his subs, Architect, etc. he should, then, accept he has a very good chance of being shafted with a helical groove. Point: The Architect who is claiming fee work to redesign faulty plans. What bollocks. :yikes:
Let's make matters desperately worse. Near or on beach properties, inclimate weather, the Mother Lode Of Mother Nature (physics, biology and chemistry).

As developers, we have Contractors (staff) to watch Contractors (hired). As a custom Home Owner, I knew all my subcontrators employees by first name. It is my fuffy flank on the line in both business and homestead.

I kid ewe not.

;-)When did ewe get out?;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.