• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
How do you suggest a homeowner conducts maintenance on a hidden defect? I had no raised plant beds, no pots with hanging plants, windows did not stay open, my house was never on a rental program, no trellis, just building defects.

Were you in the area when the home was being built?

I saw a few homes being built for "absent" homeowners--it never ceased to amaze me the crap the builders hid under the sheeting, brick and drywall...and that was BEFORE the bubble-house period. :shock:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Were you in the area when the home was being built?

I saw a few homes being built for "absent" homeowners--it never ceased to amaze me the crap the builders hid under the sheeting, brick and drywall...and that was BEFORE the bubble-house period. :shock:

No. I was not in the area. I moved here and bought the house finished. I feel you should be able to purchase a home from a builder and have the home at least meet minimum code. Mine did not and the video shows the result.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Sorry Mango - I wasn't directing my statement towards you.....I was afraid it was going to come off that way.

I thought you were involved in construction to some extent (from your past posts)....

No, my husband has never aided in construction in FL. Just my house in New York. Had he been involved, we would not have had this problem. He also did not inspect it prior to. I am the purchaser and did my best to do due diligence. However, knowing what I know now, I would have done what I said above and would have walked away from the purchase.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
No. I was not in the area. I moved here and bought the house finished. I feel you should be able to purchase a home from a builder and have the home at least meet minimum code. Mine did not and the video shows the result.

Terrible.....under the circumstances, I don't know what you could have done. Having someone you know/trust in the industry monitor the job? I think a weekly progress report with pictures (emailed) is also a good idea. Hidden job cam? :lol:

It's a shame, but a contractor's license isn't really that hard to get. I think home repair is going to be big business down here in 5-10 years, since this place built up so fast (and recent).

What year was your house built, by the way? The reason I ask is that I think county inspections have improved.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Terrible.....under the circumstances, I don't know what you could have done. Having someone you know/trust in the industry monitor the job? I think a weekly progress report with pictures (emailed) is also a good idea. Hidden job cam? :lol:

It's a shame, but a contractor's license isn't really that hard to get. I think home repair is going to be big business down here in 5-10 years, since this place built up so fast (and recent).

What year was your house built, by the way? The reason I ask is that I think county inspections have improved.

I didn't know anyone here. I was just moving here. Who would have thought that a brand new house wasn't built to code? I know better now! That's for sure.

However, I agree, for my neighbor, I went over daily and took photos, etc for their remodel.

My house was built in 1994, inspections were done by the city of Destin, not the county. The building defects were code violations at that time.

But. I do think the general public needs to be educated on what mold will actually do to you. A lot of people take it lightly when it shouldn't be. It can cause life long health problems. The statements at the end of my video are from the EPA and the American Academy of Environmental Medicine.

Last edited:

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
Yippie - I can't see you're last post- (does anyone else ever have this problem?)

I'm just throwing this out there to see if I can read it - :dunno:

How do you suggest a homeowner conducts maintenance on a hidden defect? I had no raised plant beds, no pots with hanging plants, windows did not stay open, my house was never on a rental program, no trellis, just building defects.

You probably know the difference between what I was talking about and what you are talking about. I understand your point exactly.

Even with Mango's husbands experience it wasn't evident when they first looked to seal up the problem. It sounds like they thought they had it taken care of and discovered the real or second issue during a hard rain later.

Status
Not open for further replies.