• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
I think it's just the VRBO tags, and I have seen ads for "Seaside-Style" properties, but folks should be very careful not to call themselves Seaside, unless they actually are in Seaside. The name is trademarked, and unless things have changed since I worked out there, SCDC is very protective of it.

Unfortunately, many owners take too many liberties on VRBO.

To witness a good example of this, click Florida, Beaches of South Walton and then Rosemary Beach. Now, you would think you are now viewing vacation listings in RB but you begin to see phrases like "adjacent to", "near", etc. So, if you are a prospective renter and wish to find vac. rentals in RB, you have to weed thru the list that includes the others. I experienced the same problem looking for a home to rent in Santa Barbara. I wanted to be downtown and you guessed it: near downtown, close to downtown, minutes to downtown, five miles to downtown. I have stopped using VRBO because of this problem.

HomeAway is much better organized. For example, as I drilled into the Santa Barbara listings, there was a radio button for area desired including downtown. There were only a couple of listings but at least it was better organized. HomeAway is smaller but I think it will grow.

FWIW, I now avoid any vacation property that charges a check-in fee, check-out fee, reservation fee, trouble maker fee and/or admin. fee. It is really annoying.