• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Maybe an old pontoon boat would make a decent floating dock.

Is there something about floating docks that I am missing? They seem to be the perfect solution to a dock on an ever changing and evolving shoreline. I think if one researches Coastal Dune Lakes they will find that they are naturally occurring sink-holes whose borders, salinity and water levels are in a constant state of change.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Is there something about floating docks that I am missing? They seem to be the perfect solution to a dock on an ever changing and evolving shoreline. I think if one researches Coastal Dune Lakes they will find that they are naturally occurring sink-holes whose borders, salinity and water levels are in a constant state of change.

Exactly.

And yet, a small group of owners on Eastern Lake would appear to think it should have a relatively constant water level, managed by the county. Don't know if they would actually say this, but that's what's been happening in practice.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Funny that Deer Lake which is left alone, since there are no docks on it, recently opened on its own.

Could someone post the home that is in danger of flooding on CCL? I believe this is more of an issue of docks under water and I don't feel that is a legitimate reason to mess with mother nature. Perhaps it's her way to tell you that you don't need a dock? :dunno:

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
South Walton Montessori kids were at this meeting yesterday seeing how these county meetings and processes work...:wave:

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
Did you get a sense for what their impression of the idea of opening the lake was?

the board mentioned that the lake last opened on Jan. 30th 2009...there is a lot of debate as to messing around with the habitat of three endangered species(federal, state and local hoops to jump through)...beach mice, turtles, and another...i didn't catch the name of...i'm sure it's in the minutes. same story though...dock owners want to give mother nature a little nudge...naturalists feel she doesn't need any help. There is a new board being formed to deal with dock size on all lakes for anyone who wants to get involved on that front.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
South Walton Montessori kids were at this meeting yesterday seeing how these county meetings and processes work...:wave:

I vote we let these cuties be the deciders! :clap:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'll bite. What is "normal" level for the Lake? The Coastal Dune Lakes have been monitored for about 35 years, and other than the natives which were ran off to Oklahoma, we know history of these lakes, going back no more than about 100 years. The Lakes are thought to be thousands of years old, here long before Jesus walked on Earth. So, please share with us, how we are smart enough to know what "normal" is for these Lake levels. I'd love to hear it.

These Lakes, just like our dunes and beaches, are dynamic, and should be left alone by humans, so that they can do what they do. YOU wouldn't want to be placed in a box, constricting your movement and growth. Don't do the same to these precious and rare lakes. Let them breathe.