• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I hope they just leave it alone. It seemed perfectly happy to me, rolling around in the lily pads. I don't know what it was doing. We watched it for about 10 minutes. I think it was pulling snails off the bottoms of the lily pads maybe.
I haven't seen it since that first time, but that is a pretty big lake.

Speaking of Oyster Lake, anyone else notice how high the water level is. Where the outflow would be, the home just West of it put up a bunch of fencing that is picking up a lot of sand and it might just keep that lake from being able to empty when it needs to.

Yep he dumped some large sandbags in to save his house, now the lakes backing up and hopefully he'll get sued by the owners that get flood damage. I don't remember him getting any kind of permit either.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Yep, I remember when those went in. That was the last time that outflow was functional.
Now we'll need to spend taxpayer dollars to take a trackhoe in there to open it up. :bang:

Natural Clean

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
I had a big scorpion problem last year, until I found out where they were getting in. I had a tiny tiny gap in my backdoor seal. I was getting two a week. Once i fixed that, they went away. No amount of pest control helped. I have not seen any outside. I have seen an eastern diamond back and a water moccasin, but if everyone is careful, they will be ok. Just don't go rifling through the palmettos.

I think I saw a wolf once too, but it was closer to niceville. It was a ruddy red color.

I know they are very rare, but do we have any panthers? or is that just further south?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Yep, I remember when those went in. That was the last time that outflow was functional.
Now we'll need to spend taxpayer dollars to take a trackhoe in there to open it up. :bang:

I'd prefer the county purchase his house for current market value and demolish it. :cool:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Yep he dumped some large sandbags in to save his house, now the lakes backing up and hopefully he'll get sued by the owners that get flood damage. I don't remember him getting any kind of permit either.

I thought he was required to remove all the sand bags & "stuff" because he was damaging the house next door, which had to put up the fence to prevent more damage because of the change of direction. I keep hoping the outflow will break through....

Last edited:

Beaudroix

Beach Lover
Apr 15, 2007
Miramar Beach
Pest Alerts - Venomous Spiders in Florida, DPI - FDACS

Dang if you aren't correct! :shock: No Recluse documented in Walton County according to the attached website, but that might just be a matter of time. the link has photos of what the spiders look like.

Thanks Florida girl, now I have two more things to worry about. :D

ASH, thanks for the website as I just identified the brown widow has been living in my 02' Avalanche! I kept vacuming out my truck every two weeks and in the door jamb noticing these egg sacs, like two to four of them suspended in a spider web. I think I killed the main spider the other day but this just made my hair raise!!! I learn something new on Sowal.com everyday...

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
With small kids, I would worry much more about alligators. Every county in Fla has gators and Florida has 1.5 million of them. Lousiana has two million btw.

Obviously, do not swim in ponds and lakes and don't stand close to the shores of lakes. If you or your kids want to fish, I would only do so off a dock or pier. No dangling legs. Or participles.

I love snakes and frequently go looking for them. They are difficult to find and indentification is tough. I would teach my kids a healthy respect for snakes and to just walk away if they do happen upon one.