• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mdd88jd

Beach Lover
May 26, 2008
Thanks guys. I will finally see my dream of K12 education acroos the Bay in first class facilities before I get off the board. Just 13 years ago, all we had across the bay was Bay Elementary. We have come a long way. I know we will get criticism for building during this budget crisis, but, we have the money for the construction, which we cannot use for salaries and it will not get any cheaper to build than now. I was not particularly with the location and costs of the land, but, it was the best we could get. Thanks again guys for the kind words.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks guys. I will finally see my dream of K12 education acroos the Bay in first class facilities before I get off the board. Just 13 years ago, all we had across the bay was Bay Elementary. We have come a long way. I know we will get criticism for building during this budget crisis, but, we have the money for the construction, which we cannot use for salaries and it will not get any cheaper to build than now. I was not particularly with the location and costs of the land, but, it was the best we could get. Thanks again guys for the kind words.

Thanks for explaining how the money works- I don't think a lot of people "get" that it can't be used for just anything.

And thanks for appreciating our educational needs down here!

I am sure you have heard that we are pretty full at SWHS- maybe we can get Extreme Home Makeover to put an addition on....:D

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton

There might be a budget crisis, but building the middle school will give much needed jobs to people in the construction business and I'm sure the school will be filled when it's completed.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Walton green-lights new middle school | school, new, middle - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

The Walton County School Board has agreed to move forward with construction of a new Emerald Coast Middle School, an undertaking that would take two years and $24 million.

Board members voted at last week's meeting to move forward with the timeline, which begins in mid-April with advertising for bids. If all goes as planned, a contract will be awarded in mid-July.

Construction on the site - located in the Point Washington area off U.S. Highway 98 - would begin in September, and the new school would be ready by 2011.

Facilities coordinator Mark Gardner explained that Butler Elementary would take over the classrooms at the old middle school, meaning there would be two elementary schools in South Walton.

During the meeting, Elliott, Marshall & Innes, an architectural firm out of Tallahassee, "presented some demographic data (from the Department of Education) that showed continual growth through that area through the next five years," Gardner said.

According to statistics provided by the Florida Department of Education, there are 6,799 students enrolled in pre-kindergarten to 12th grade in Walton County this year. That number is projected to go up by about 700 by the 2010-11 school year.

The current middle school shares a campus with the elementary school, which already is overpopulated and contains about half a dozen portable classrooms between the two schools. The campus also lacks a media center and gymnasium.

The board presentation also included a site plan and floor plans showing the layouts of the classrooms and assorted buildings on the 40-acre tract.

The new middle school would be able to accommodate up to 800 students and would include a track area, a football and soccer field and a baseball and softball field.

"We're trying to provide the same services that we provide at other schools in the county," he added. But the board could stop the plans if the funding and needs requirements are not met.

Gardner said a couple things could "trigger a slowdown in the process," including bids from contractors that are much higher than the district has budgeted for, and fewer-than-expected students enrolling in South Walton schools.

But the influx of students is expected to continue, he said, especially with the anticipated regional impact of the new Bay County International Airport.

Although the number of Walton students is projected to increase, "it's important to take into account that statewide, student enrollment has dropped," possibly by up to 30,000 students, said Erin Geraghty, the director of communications for the DOE.

According to DOE statistics, about 2,614,000 students are enrolled statewide in pre-kindergarten to 12th grade. That number is projected to drop by almost 12,000 by 2010-11.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
From the article:

Facilities coordinator Mark Gardner explained that Butler Elementary would take over the classrooms at the old middle school, meaning there would be two elementary schools in South Walton.

I am sure this was a misquote- I have a feeling Mr. Gardner knows that there are already 2 public elementary schools in SoWal.

"We're trying to provide the same services that we provide at other schools in the county," he added. But the board could stop the plans if the funding and needs requirements are not met.

Thanks!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Big land clearing on Hwy 98

Just across from the Regional Utilities World there is a small sliver on the north side of 98 that opens to a huge area being cleared. I looked on the PA's website and it's either privately held land or school board land. Anybody know what's up?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It is 40 acres being clear cut for Emerald Coast Middle School. Right now there is a buffer between the highway and the clear cut area which I hope remains.

I would be impressed and thankful if some nice trees were being spared to shade and enhance the new school.

This view shows mostly the entry road, which is a few acres. The majority of the land being clear cut is beyond.

090812-ecms.jpg