• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Watch out for scams associated with this. There are stories that the drywall was only distributed in Southern Florida. There are stories that it is nationwide.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
At least the story mentiones at least two distributors. The sad part is the EPA has known about this for over 6 months. I have been reading about it on iequality sites for months and several post have been by someone who works for the EPA.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
We've been reading about this quite a bit too.
Definitely something folks should be aware of.
Most of what we have read is in reference to South Florida.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
It's nationwide. Here are a couple of light photos that can be posted, but it is my understanding this is the tip of the iceberg of what is being found. Notice the corruption of the copper.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
What's an inequality site, please?

I'm sorry. iequality. It is a site that people in the top of their fields discuss problems arising from building, air quality, building products, opinions, etc. Members include people from president of the Indoor Air Quality Association of America to top engineers to members of the EPA. It's a great site to learn, read opinions from experts etc.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I wanted to post this. It is from an expert who is involved in investigating the Chinese Drywall. I am SHOCKED you can still buy the stuff. -

Presently it is said to be in 13 states including Nevada , Colorado , Arizona , California , Texas , Louisiana , Alabama , Mississippi , Georgia , North and South Carolina , Virginia , Florida

There are 4 or 5 different markings on boards, not all appear to be as bad as others. Most is ?? thick that is being implicated. There is some 5/8 Chinese board in 10 foot sheets, though we haven?t found any 5/8? Chinese board in our projects.

Most of the homes have an odor like if you opened a box of the old diamond blue tip matches (sulfur), or the light smell of mercaptin- like the smell of the odorant they add to lp or natural gas. Some have reported the smell of Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg type odor) but that is not necessarily the norm, Some have no odor complaints, though we haven?t seen one with out an odor ourselves.

According to one article (Sarasota Herald) there was something like 340 million square feet of drywall imported from China 2005-2006. How much is affected is unknown. One Manufacturer is blaming the mined material not the fly ash.

As far as can you purchase it now- There is still some that is being stored and attempted to be sold, found one website in Georgia which quoted: ? Have drywall for sale. Located in georga. This is a one time oppertunity to purchase drywall at a significantly reduced price. The owner wants to quikly liquidate this inventory. All offers will be considered. Partial purchases will also be considered. Purchaser will be responsible for all pick-up.?

Another distributor of the same manufacturer also sells Herbal and homeopathic pills for health- and we wonder how this happens!

Let?s be careful out there.