• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
What year was your house built, by the way? The reason I ask is that I think county inspections have improved.

:roll: Right....and what about the Bazillion Bubble Houses that got the "Drive-by or Contractor's Honor" Inspections during the last few years?

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
In an ideal world the best thing a homeowner interested in a custom job can do is hire a competent team - that means a skilled architect who will competently draw up a set of plans that is complete and leaves little wiggle room for change orders and they will also hire a competent builder who will hopefully have an excellent working relationship with said architect.

And check, double check and triple check references - I am amazed at the number of people who do not do this.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
In an ideal world the best thing a homeowner interested in a custom job can do is hire a competent team - that means a skilled architect who will competently draw up a set of plans that is complete and leaves little wiggle room for change orders and they will also hire a competent builder who will hopefully have an excellent working relationship with said architect.

A custom build should have an independent engineer overlooking the building process, the Contractor, his Subcontractors. The Home Owners custodian.

And check, double check and triple check references - I am amazed at the number of people who do not do this.

Hire a homeowner's engineer/vigilante. Let him administer the bid and let process.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
A custom build should have an independent engineer overlooking the building process, the Contractor, his Subcontractors. The Home Owners custodian.

Hire a homeowner's engineer/vigilante. Let him administer the bid and let process.

What kind of engineer?

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
What kind of engineer?

A registered civil engineer with engineering design, construction management and commercial/residential inspections experience. Undestands structural integrity evaluations, home and commercial property inspections with a strong dose of common sense. American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) and the Southern Building Code Congress International (SBCCI) as a CABO One & Two Family Dwelling Inspector, has passed the National Home Inspector Examination.

This would be a minimum set of reqs.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Add structural engineer to that list.

You guys keep talking about custom homes. Don't you think the builder has a responsibility for ALL homes he builds, whether it is custom or spec? All homes regardless should meet at least MINIMUM code requirements. And if it is a good builder, it will meet better than minimum.

I learned through my experience that building codes are quite complex and disagree that the homeowner should have to know them . Sadly, unless you KNOW code, then anything can be pulled on you. That is why there are Licensed Builders, so their subs and employees build to meet code.

I am NOT in the building business, nor did I ever want to know the amount that I do now.

I would like to think there are people out there who have integrity and will oversee projects without the homeowner questioning them on everything they do. After my experience, I have fears about any house that was built here in the last many years.

I am not saying there are NOT builders with integrity that people can put their full trust into, but I have found and seen that there are plenty that you can't. Not just my builder, I have seen some amazing things other builders do and can't believe what some try to get away with.

One of the first questions I ask my new builder is "do you have any problems with me being on site every day?" If they balk at that, I run.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Add structural engineer to that list.

You guys keep talking about custom homes. Don't you think the builder has a responsibility for ALL homes he builds, whether it is custom or spec? All homes regardless should meet at least MINIMUM code requirements. And if it is a good builder, it will meet better than minimum.

I learned through my experience that building codes are quite complex and disagree that the homeowner should have to know them . Sadly, unless you KNOW code, then anything can be pulled on you. That is why there are Licensed Builders, so their subs and employees build to meet code.

I am NOT in the building business, nor did I ever want to know the amount that I do now.

I would like to think there are people out there who have integrity and will oversee projects without the homeowner questioning them on everything they do. After my experience, I have fears about any house that was built here in the last many years.

I am not saying there are NOT builders with integrity that people can put their full trust into, but I have found and seen that there are plenty that you can't. Not just my builder, I have seen some amazing things other builders do and can't believe what some try to get away with.
You look for trust where Homeowner vigilance and hired supervision is the only answer.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
You look for trust where Homeowner vigilance and hired supervision is the only answer.

You left out the last line I wrote -

One of the first questions I ask my new builder is "do you have any problems with me being on site every day?" If they balk at that, I run.

I have learned a LONG, EXPENSIVE lesson, but I don't think anyone should have to learn the lessons I did. I still think you SHOULD be able to trust a licensed professional. If you can't do that, then you would be forced to learn all professions to make sure you are not being taken for a ride.

I DO agree, references, references, references, engineering and all, but I still don't think owners should have to know the builders job. Otherwise, what do we need builders for? That is NOT meant with any disrespect at all.

Last edited:

I have learned a LONG, EXPENSIVE lesson, but I don't think anyone should have to learn the lessons I did. I still think you SHOULD be able to trust a licensed professional. If you can't do that, then you would be forced to learn all professions to make sure you are not being taken for a ride.

I DO agree, references, references, references, engineering and all, but I still don't think owners should have to know the builders job. Otherwise, what do we need builders for? That is NOT meant with any disrespect at all.

Was your builder a low cost builder?

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor

Yippie,
I agree with you - a homeowner should be able to trust the professionals he hires - if someone wants to learn and educate themselves about all of the rules, regulations and codes that govern buildings then do go ahead and do that if that pleases you but it should not be necessary.

Again: a competent architect will hire a competent structural engineer who will hopefully do the required inspections, take photograps and document the process and a good builder will remain vigilant at all times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.