• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I have a book on birds and it says they are in Southern FL during winter. It then says they can be found along the Atlantic coast and that they summer only in the Northeast part of FL.

This little guy must be lost, because I caught him in Sowal!

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com
Beautiful!
How cool is that! I think it's his girlfriend with him! The females are not as pretty.
Check out this link:
All About Birds: Indigo Bunting

Cool fact from Cornell:

• The Indigo Bunting migrates at night, using the stars for guidance. It learns its orientation to the night sky from its experience as a young bird observing the stars.

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Yes, now that I know what the female looks like, I have them. I went back to the window and now I have two pair of buntings out there. Females are the same size, but the two males are quite different in size. I am going to try to get a shot of both males at the feeder. Quite skittish.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
And now a bunch of Cedar Waxwings have suddenly showed up. About 20 of them. I am attaching a picture I took in February of 2007 in Ft Walton Beach of several hundred of these in a single tree. I had printed out the page and carefully put a line on each bird I could seperately count and I came up with something like 432 birds. If each bird only weighed 4 ounces, that tree had nearly 100 pounds of birds in at at one time.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Thanks, Ash. Birds are wonderful. I would love to see an Indigo Bunting up close and personal.