• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

maxman

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2009
Destin/Sandestin/Miramar Beach
Thinning

Yes you can, just make sure you take out soil around the roots of the seedlings. So dig deep and wide around the seedlings and water well for the first couple of days.
One more question about thinning. I speant about 50 bucks on seeds thinking that was about right. I didn't expect the thousands of seedlings I have now. My rows are about 4 feet apart. Do you know if it's possible to pull up seedlings and put them in new rows? I just hate to kill off so many plants.
:dunno:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
One more question about thinning. I speant about 50 bucks on seeds thinking that was about right. I didn't expect the thousands of seedlings I have now. My rows are about 4 feet apart. Do you know if it's possible to pull up seedlings and put them in new rows? I just hate to kill off so many plants.
:dunno:

I have done that and it is tedious babying them to get them to survive. .:bang:

Last edited:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Nope, but I think you just started one.

Anyone know what the germination for mint is?

Don't grow it from seed...the stuff is basically and invasive weed if you don't contain it! Ask jdarg for some of her grandmother's mint from Kentucky. It smells so incredibly good.

Votes for gardening forum?

Um...yes, please! Maybe gardening and locavore info combined?

Working Man

Banned
Mar 31, 2009
Some good child labor, er uh, family time.

We all need some therapy after thinning so many of our babies.:cry:

AAbsolute is a jerk. Please don't attribute that to his children. They are innocent and they are angels. AAbsolute has lost his way.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
living mulch question

Was there ever a gardening forum started? If so, I am not clever enough to find it so I will just ask my questino here.

Anyone have any experience using clover or perennial peanut (or other low growing, nitrogen-fixing ground cover) as living mulch for vegetable and herb gardens? Got any advice to share on pros, cons, how-to, what to avoid? Thanks!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Aleo made the gardening social group open to everyone, you can join it/subscribe to it. I don't think there is a dedicated gardening forum yet.

I am SO proud - I have a little green tomato (about the size of a cherry tomato). This is an unprecedented event in my years of attempting to grow tomatoes! :blush: Thank goodness for Toni's!

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I've used red clover, although it's been a while since I had the space for the huge garden I used it in. As I recall, I didn't do anything special, just tossed it out where I wanted it, and it grew really well in the sand and looked pretty when it bloomed.
I also used peanut hay for non-living mulch , got a whole bunch of it from some farmer in NoWal.
Both of these worked well. The clover, however, does need water.
I could use plans for an inexpensive rain collection system, if anyone has any ideas on this. I think I'll need that before I do much more gardening - drinking water is too expensive, and too precious, for anything more than a few pots, imho. When I had a big garden I used drip irrigation and all the mulch and compost I could get my hands on to hold some water in our porous "soil."

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009
I love people that garden and cook- I'm hungry now and I just ate.