• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Both, all.

Please explain to me how your theory works there. Since there is NO homeowner to accept all the responsibility you would like to put on them.

They come along, like the house and purchase it. They get a home inspection which is the right thing to do, but you know as well as I do, many hidden defects will not be caught. And say, the builder has a decent reputation......

IRWTKWYFOIOYAAA

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Please explain to me how your theory works there. Since there is NO homeowner to accept all the responsibility you would like to put on them.

Huh? :dunno: I support the full responsibility to the Home Owner. There are no theorems involved, only proofs in (my) practice.

They come along, like the house and purchase it. They get a home inspection which is the right thing to do, but you know as well as I do, many hidden defects will not be caught. And say, the builder has a decent reputation......

IRWTKWYFOIOYAAA
My discussion has always been, in this thread, about the building of a custom home.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Originally Posted by Chickpea
Yippie,
I agree with you - a homeowner should be able to trust the professionals he hires - if someone wants to learn and educate themselves about all of the rules, regulations and codes that govern buildings then do go ahead and do that if that pleases you but it should not be necessary.

Again: a competent architect will hire a competent structural engineer who will hopefully do the required inspections, take photograps and document the process and a good builder will remain vigilant at all times.

You are local and you are reported to be an Architect. Give us the name of a good builder, please.

Such pretty colors. :rotfl:

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Huh? :dunno: I support the full responsibility to the Home Owner. There are no theorems involved, only proofs in (my) practice.

My discussion has always been, in this thread, about the building of a custom home.

Am I understanding in the circumstances I stated above, spec house, model home, parade home, etc., you feel the homeowner is responsible, not the builder even though the homeowner doesn't make any of the choices you insist they should?

You should be addressing more than only custom homes. MANY homes built in this area are not custom, but spec homes. Many homes are purchased by investors as second homes and rental homes. Some are very unlucky and get stuck with a lemon.

I am having a very hard time accepting the theory that the homeowner is fully responsible for the building of the house. Especially since the State of Florida does not feel that way. In fact, there are statues in place to protect homeowners against bad builders.

But, as a developer, I am sure you know, none of the responsibility falls on your shoulders, you pan it off on a builder that you choose?

Appears one of the major problems in the building industry today is everyone pointing fingers are someone else instead of standing up at the plate and accepting responsibility for their own actions. "The sub contractor was suppose to do that" is a statement I have heard. BS as far as I am concerned.

I firmly believe, as does the State, that the Builder is responsible for 100% of the way the house is built. They have a responsibility to any potential buyer. And also they have a contractual responsibility to any buyer. They are stating the buyer is purchasing a house that meets code and is well built and the state holds them to that.

We pay builders for their expertise. We pay builders to know right from wrong when building a house. We pay builders to oversee the subcontractors they hire. We pay builders to look over plans and if something is not right, they should stand up and get it corrected. We pay builders to build a solid home that they are willing to stand by. Not to snuff responsibility on someone else.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Originally Posted by Chickpea
Yippie,
I agree with you - a homeowner should be able to trust the professionals he hires - if someone wants to learn and educate themselves about all of the rules, regulations and codes that govern buildings then do go ahead and do that if that pleases you but it should not be necessary.

Again: a competent architect will hire a competent structural engineer who will hopefully do the required inspections, take photograps and document the process and a good builder will remain vigilant at all times.

Such pretty colors. :rotfl:

Then you should know that in Florida an Architect doesn't have to hire an engineer for a one story house, so your theory doesn't hold true there. Also, it is not required by any governing agency as far as I know for an engineer to take photos and document the building of a house. They engineer the house to code and expect the builder to follow instructions. In Destin, the engineer or architect are only required to inspect the house when it is framed to check structural integrity and provide a letter stating it meets code. I certainly don't know many who go over and beyond what they are required to do. Otherwise, they would be running all over many counties taking photos and babysitting builders instead of making a living. They seem to have the same idea I do about responsibility.

If you are a local architect, then are you afraid to identify yourself? Who do you consider a competent builder? One that the homeowner doesn't have to take time away from their own career to learn what the builder went to school for ?

Last edited:

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
For the record yes, I am a licensed architect and know many excellent builders I have worked with and who I would recommend (but not on this Board for obvious reasons). I do not particulalry want to state who I am on this forum - not in any way because I am embarrassed or unable to answer any single one of the questions thrown at me but because I would like to maintain my privacy. I am going to bow out of this conversation as I do not see where this is going and because there seems to be a pre-disposition on this particular thread about moving this into a direction which is making me uncomfortable- I want no part in anything when it is deemed OK to bash someone and acuse them of things that may be completely false (directed at Aabsolute). You all can continue without me.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.