• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I don't think you are incorrect. I simply wanted to offer additional insight into what comprises a sustainable material. One solution does not fit all. Location, climate, and use are equally important considerations.

Embodied energy is typically measured in MegaJoules and there are materials lists available on the internet. One correction from a previous post, I stated that cement is high in embodied energy, relative to other materials like copper and steel it is lower, but because it is one of the most used building materials, collectively it has a far greater environmental impact.

I've been trying to get educated and informed about Embodied Energy and I noticed what you just reported. Cement is listed as medium in most publications.

I haven't heard much negative information about AAC and I worked with it about a decade ago now.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Did you go?
What's it like?
Did Ms. Sanford meet you?
How many houses have they built so far?
Is the first building "the Sky Institute" complete?
Are they experimenting with alternative energy solutions?
What kind of paving did they use for the streets to catch the rainwater?
Does it look like the residents will be a part of a real sustainable community?
Sorry about the lack of response, AA, I haven't gotten an email notification in days:dunno:Then Fay decided to drop in, 48 hours, no power. :pissed:Funny thing that JSS, completely dropped off the communication map, nada, no word, nothingo, dry out the poop shoot, blah, blah, blah. Wonder if this had something to do with it?

http://tinyurl.com/6pndvk

Here's a piece about shotgun housing usages, et al.

http://www.newurbanguild.com/resources/members.html

Sorry about the lack of response, AA, I haven't gotten an email notification in days:dunno:Then Fay decided to drop in, 48 hours, no power. :pissed:Funny thing that JSS, completely dropped off the communication map, nada, no word, nothingo, dry out the poop shoot, blah, blah, blah. Wonder if this had something to do with it?

http://tinyurl.com/6pndvk

Here's a piece about shotgun housing usages, et al.

http://www.newurbanguild.com/resources/members.html

I don't want to break the posting rules for Sowal. Suffice it to say that the DBPR replied to me and confirmed what I thought.

I really was wondering if Sky ever followed through with their numerous press releases.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
I don't want to break the posting rules for Sowal. Suffice it to say that the DBPR replied to me and confirmed what I thought.

I really was wondering if Sky ever followed through with their numerous press releases.
Nothing I can tell but in defence, there is a significant amount of study to do, the land development lending market is poor...there could be numerous true reasons that SKY has been waylaid.

On the flip side, this is a signicant civil engineering project and I don't see the developer's resumes reflecting this expertise in dealing thith CE. This ain't no one lot wonder or straight road sbdivision either. Best be able to walk with the CE and talk their talk or you could get ewe could get you a$$ handed to you come spade turning time. Perhaps I am wrong about Mr. White.

The idea may swallow the idea makers. :shock:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
I am going to email Ms. Sanford and request a visit with her on the Sky site, I have interest and will report toward the mid-August moon the outcome of said visit.
Er, I meant mid-March Madness...I suppose.

Nonetheless, our fav pseudo-Architect (confirmed?) was emailed and we had wonderful electronic discourse....for two days. I emailed her, she emailed me, I->her->I, etc. Then I enqueeried about her architectural status and if I might be invited to come up and see the Sky. :clap:

Kerplunk. :dunno:

No more commo, no more electronic intercourse, just I->I->I. :scratch:

Were it something I said? :blink:

Did I ruffle her wool? :eek:

Has anyone heard or seen from Julie Starr Sanford ala Mode? :banging:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Er, I meant mid-March Madness...I suppose.

Nonetheless, our fav pseudo-Architect (confirmed?) was emailed and we had wonderful electronic discourse....for two days. I emailed her, she emailed me, I->her->I, etc. Then I enqueeried about her architectural status and if I might be invited to come up and see the Sky. :clap:

Kerplunk. :dunno:

No more commo, no more electronic intercourse, just I->I->I. :scratch:

Were it something I said? :blink:

Did I ruffle her wool? :eek:

Has anyone heard or seen from Julie Starr Sanford ala Mode? :banging:

Maybe they burned through the $1.8M Florida grant cash and got their cellphone service cut off?

So maybe it was a fairytale village afterall...and they lived happily ever after.

THE END.

Last edited:

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Maybe they burned through the $1.8M Florida grant cash and got their cellphone service cut off?

So maybe it was a fairytale village afterall...and they lived happily ever after.

THE END
Perhaps, perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Construction is planned for "2009" h/w/r ewe here cannot find the website in a quick-like-Ram-in-heat-mounted-on-me Google search.

Allegations of fraudulent use of the term "Architect" certainly does not persuade land development financiers.

Is she and Bruce Wayne in love or lovers, it appears so? They both appear to be attractive and capable of producing free-ranging children (of which Ram and I are certainly experts on). :D

All Photos - The Land of Sky Slide Show - Photos - SouthernLiving.com