• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Hey, it's me again still deciding on where to stay next winter. It will be our home for 3 months so want it to be right. So we are looking at a house in Sugar Beach and one in Cassine Village. Are both about the same distance to the beach? And where do you think there would be more people in the winter. I know Gulf Place and Legends have residents in the winter but a house seems so much nice. Can't afford Rosemary Beach as suggested. Heard Grayton Beach has full time residents but never found anything to rent there.
Please comment. Appreciate any and all replies
Gayle

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I cannot think of a Sugar Beach, other than the one in Panama City Beach. Cassine Village (single family detached homes) has many year round residents, and snowbirds fly down in the winter to nest in Cassine Gardens (townhomes). Cassine IS a real neighborhood.

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County
If it is that Sugar Beach neighborhood behind the Tom Thumb and Cafe 30-A I guess the proximity to morning coffee and newspapers would be nice but I always feel sorry for the people trying to cross 30A for the walkover to the gulf. I try to give them a break as they wait for in and out traffic on Somerset Bridge Rd(?), the Tom Thumb, and 30A.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Oh, yes, THAT Sugar Beach. It is no comparison. IMO, Cassine is the way to go, for sure.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
One Seagrove Place is a high rise condo, across from Cassine. Not many snow-birds in there, but lots of walls filled with mirrors to make the units feel larger.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Based on the several threads that have been started, it seems that Smiling Joe has given you some good information. It seems you want to be around families with children and Cassine is probably the best bet for you because of the combo of full timers in the homes and the transient renters in the townhomes.

You will find that most communities along the 30A corridor are rental communities. The ones where people may opt to live full time usually have C&R's restricting short term rentals.

rogpurf

Beach Lover
Aug 30, 2005
Midland, MI & Seagrove Beach
You didn't say whether you have children with you. If not, One Seagrove Place is good for snowbirds. Two bedrooms, all balconys facing the gulf. Completely furnished. Coffee in the clubroom where you can meet other people. Happy hour Friday nights, bingo, etc. Go to oneseagroveplace.com.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That's interesting about One Seagrove Place, because I drive past it almost everyday in the winter, and very rarely see more than five cars in the parking lot, until spring break arrives. Are there really many snowbirds there? They may all be shopping at the grocery store every time I pass.