• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

xaa

Beach Comber
Aug 17, 2008
North of LA
I'm toying (more like struggling) with the idea of buying a 30A vacation/investment home. With the current housing/mortgage meltdown, I would have thought I could purchase something up for a decent price. However, as I run my model on numerous potential properties in the area, I can't get anything to a break-even cash flow without assuming a 40% to 50% discount on the asking prices. Am I missing something? :bang:Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've had rental properties for over 15 years (albeit these are not vacation homes). Would be happy to share my model.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I'm toying (more like struggling) with the idea of buying a 30A vacation/investment home. With the current housing/mortgage meltdown, I would have thought I could purchase something up for a decent price. However, as I run my model on numerous potential properties in the area, I can't get anything to a break-even cash flow without assuming a 40% to 50% discount on the asking prices. Am I missing something? :bang:Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've had rental properties for over 15 years (albeit these are not vacation homes). Would be happy to share my model.

...nope, you're not missing anything.

Of course you can pull numbers out of your arse that will cashflow--I've seen a few posted on here. :cool:

Last edited:

Suma

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2007
Tallahassee
I have been very pleased with my investment in local rental houses. I own two. I purchased nice, but moderately priced, brand new 4 bedroom homes in the best school zone in my city. I put 20% down on each of them and they have never been empty for a day. In fact I have never had a renter stay less than three years.

After my initial 20% down, I never put another dime of my own money in them. The rent makes the payments and provides enough money for maintenance and repairs.

OTOH I own two beach house "investments." They are constant work (managing the rental) and we put money into them most months. Granted the beach properties are much bigger and finer houses but, from an investment stand point, what difference does that make???

If you want a beach property to enjoy and you can afford it, buy a beach property. Rent it out when you are not using it for a little extra income. If you are strictly looking for a real estate investment, you might want to consider other options as well.

My 2 cents!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Very few properties will cash flow, currently, especially the vacation properties. You will have better luck finding long-term rental properties which will come closer to cash flow. However, rents have decreased over the last few years, and there are many more rentals on the market now. Over the last few years, with 20% down, I can think of only a few properties here and there which mightl provide break-even or slight positive cash flow.

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008

While there are some "relative bargains" here and there, mostly REO's, the vast majority of properties in SoWal are overpriced. Many are listed at peak 2005/2006 values. Since you are an experienced real estate investor, you know that the only benchmark that counts are resales. View some of the graphs in this forum and see the number of years of supply remaining.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Very few properties will cash flow, currently, especially the vacation properties. You will have better luck finding long-term rental properties which will come closer to cash flow. However, rents have decreased over the last few years, and there are many more rentals on the market now. Over the last few years, with 20% down, I can think of only a few properties here and there which mightl provide break-even or slight positive cash flow.

I disagree, I have seen rental rates increase and vacancy's decrease over the last few years. You are correct you will need to search and find a break even property. You may even need to add value to the property to get it to a positive cash flow.

Last edited:

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005

See your CPA for the the tax benefits and see your Attorney for estate planning.
What may appear at first not be a good deal may in fact turn out to be a steal.

Suma

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2007
Tallahassee

That is interesting. Not only did I put 20% down, I have 15 year mortgages on the houses. They were purchased six years ago and have cash flowed from the start. Maybe my situation is unique in that they are four bedroom, which is harder to find in a rental house, and they are in a top notch school zone. Another factor might be that Tallahassee is a fairly recession-proof city, with so many people working for the state. From what I understand, home prices have not taken as big a hit here as in many other parts of the state. I have not researched that, just heard it.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I disagree, I have seen rental rates increase and vacancy's decrease over the last few years. You are correct you will need to search and find a break even property. You may even need to add value to the property to get it to a positive cash flow.

I'm speaking in particular about the long term rents. They have indeed decreased, and more are springing up every day. This is very different from the market peak.

However, with all of the inventory of vacation homes in our area, I would venture to guess that anything off the Gulf will have much more competition as the number of homes built from 2004-2007 likely came close to increasing inventory of vacation homes by 25%+ (just a guess). Basic economics -- as inventory increases, prices (rent) will decrease.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
That is interesting. Not only did I put 20% down, I have 15 year mortgages on the houses. They were purchased six years ago and have cash flowed from the start. Maybe my situation is unique in that they are four bedroom, which is harder to find in a rental house, and they are in a top notch school zone. Another factor might be that Tallahassee is a fairly recession-proof city, with so many people working for the state. From what I understand, home prices have not taken as big a hit here as in many other parts of the state. I have not researched that, just heard it.

You are correct that Tallahassee homes are not in the same ball game as vacation properties in South Walton. We are talking about apples and bananas.

The old rule of thumb is that an investor would like to beat the average return of other investments. This is changing greatly over the last decade, with the stock market being at the peak, and now off tremendously. I'm not sure what the average rate of return is on the stock market over the history of the market. It used to vary between 7-8%. Anyway, some simple math to keep in mind for true investment property is that (without considering property value increases/decreases and tax shelters) an investor would want to see monthly rents of 1% of the purchase price, in order to receive a 10% return per year. eg- a house costing you $200,000 should pull rent of $2000 per month. That is far from the case here today. At best, a $200,000 house in South Walton might on a good day pull around $1000 per month. That math doesn't work inside these guidelines. Here is why:

$200,000 purchase price
20% down = $40,000
balance of loan = $160,000
(assuming a 6% fixed interest rate for 30 years)
Monthly principle and interest = $960
expect a monthly cost of taxes to be around $150
expect insurance to cost around $200 per month

*(we'll stop there, but there are additional cost of maintenance and repairs and if you aren't calculating at least 2 months per year of no occupancy, you are leaving out meaningful numbers.)

I will gladly look at examples of possible POSitive cash flowing properties, but on average, you won't find any to purchase in South Walton at this time, and probably won't see many in the future. This doesn't mean that property won't increase in value and return money on your investment. Just means that properties purchased today in our area, don't tend to Cash Flow in a positive manner.

Let's use the example above with a monthly rental income of 1% (of purchase price) per month to see how the cash flow would vary:

$200,000 purchase price
20% down = $40,000
balance of loan = $160,000
(assuming a 6% fixed interest rate for 30 years)
Monthly principle and interest = $960
expect a monthly cost of taxes to be around $150
expect insurance to cost around $200 per month

Remember, you have $40,000 of your money tied up, plus $1310 per month ($15,720 per year). Divide $8,280 (return) on $55,720 (money invested) = 14.9% ROI (return on investment). Again, we aren't calculating the time when there is no occupancy, and not setting aside money for repairs and maintenance. Both are real costs, and when included, you will come closer to a 10% ROI, which still beats the life time average return of the stock market. (You still have a part time job as a landlord, which may mean calling the plumber on a Sunday to fix the flapper on a toilet, at a cost of $120, or doing it yourself. -- Being a landlord is no glorious job.)

*(but there are additional cost of maintenance and repairs and if you aren't calculating at least 2 months per year of no occupancy, you are leaving out meaningful numbers.