• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Has anyone used this product? I am seriously considering it for my cottage and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with it. It looks like hardwood flooring, is a floating system, is impervious to most household cleaners and best of all, waterproof. I have spoken to some people who have used vinyl planks recently and were happy with it. I also called a local floor retailer inquiring about it and they have sold Metrofloors vinyl marble tile line and claimed it was holding up well. It's fairly new and given the circumstances at the beach--sand, water, high traffic-- this seems like an excellent solution vs. hardwood or pergo floors to get the warm look of hardwoods without the issues associated with it. It has a 25 year residential and a 10 year commercial warranty.

Welcome to Konecto.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Like I said, Mangy..I'd go for it! We love our vinyl planks in the laundry room, although a different brand. In fact, we love them so much, we're putting them in the master bath. We almost did tile, but I decided we didn't need one more different floor in the patchwork! I'm hoping I can convince Mr. DD to put it all over the house eventually. It's an easy transition to go from the bath to the bedroom and then just keep going!! Cross your fingers for me!!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
They had this whole thread going on the DYI network and some people posted they were not happy with it. That it was peeling in spots. Most of the installers who came on and posted said that you need to make sure you roll it with a 100 lb. roller and some suggested rolling with a hand roller after laying some of the planks, then follow over with the big roller and no problems. The people who seemed to have a problem with it were installing it over concrete. That's not my case. It also has to be installed between 65 and 85 degree temps.

Still, with it being new and all, I wanted to see if anyone has installed it and how it is holding up. Hate to put a floor down that peels after a while. This seems like it would be good for the FL beach area considering the humidity, the sticky connections should hold well.

They have one at Home Depot that is called Allure by Armstrong, but it is 4MM and Konecto is 12. I just found out Konecto does have a 4MM line with about 8 color choices. The Allure is less expensive, but color choices are limited.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
We got ours at Lowe's back before HD started carrying any brands of it. It's been down about three years(?). It's in the laundry room and we have noticed no signs of peeling or lifting. I am pretty sure Mr. dd used some kind of roller but probably not a l00 lb. one. He could have used me and had assurance that it would never go anywhere!! I don't know the brand, and I'm too lazy to go look right this second, but I will when I go back downstairs. My only regret is I wish I'd used a darker color. Ours is kind of oak colored. But, since my house is so pucking dark, I was trying to lighten it up a little. It is lighter than the cabinets/woodwork too. But, it doesn't show much dirt...only dog hair. :bang:

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
Mango,

I put some of the Allure in my laundry room here in Atlanta and I love it. It is also made by Konecto, but only has the 4mm wear layer.

I read those threads on DIY and it seemed to be only the people putting it over concrete slabs with moisture problems that had the peeling. I laid my floor myself, it was easy, and I only used a hand roller - no problems so far - it's been down about two months.

I wanted to go with the Konecto Prestige series (it has the thickest and hardest wear layer), but HD was only a few miles away and had it in stock<----didn't feel like waiting a few weeks to order. The Allure scratches a little more easily than I'd like. Dog nails, sliding furniture (use felt pads), will scratch it. I wish I had been a little more patient for the Konecto, but I love it anyway.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Ok..I forgot to say that the laundry room stuff was laid on concrete. But now y'all have got me thinking about if it'll really work in the bathroom. It'll be laid on concrete as well. Do you think it'll be ok? The only real wet area is just in front of the shower, but there's a rug. Thoughts?

pgurney

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
ATL & Seacrest
Ok..I forgot to say that the laundry room stuff was laid on concrete. But now y'all have got me thinking about if it'll really work in the bathroom. It'll be laid on concrete as well. Do you think it'll be ok? The only real wet area is just in front of the shower, but there's a rug. Thoughts?

From what I have read, it's only a problem if the concrete has moisture problems like in basements where the concrete was poured without a moisture barrier. Someone said to test it you can put a sheet of plastic over the concrete for a day or so to see if moisture is being released.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006

Concrete has a lot of moisture. That being said, from what I could gather, the people who used it on concrete probably had problems because it was too cold. Basements tend to be cooler. I think you'll be fine in Texas, DD. They said that you should keep the temp between 65-85 degrees about 48 hours before laying and the same for about 48 hours afterward. If it's cooler in that room than that, use a space heater. Also, with a bath being a smaller area, if you do have any peel up they have a correction kit, which is basically just Super Glue.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
From what I have read, it's only a problem if the concrete has moisture problems like in basements where the concrete was poured without a moisture barrier. Someone said to test it you can put a sheet of plastic over the concrete for a day or so to see if moisture is being released.

Concrete has a lot of moisture. That being said, from what I could gather, the people who used it on concrete probably had problems because it was too cold. Basements tend to be cooler. I think you'll be fine in Texas, DD. They said that you should keep the temp between 65-85 degrees about 48 hours before laying and the same for about 48 hours afterward. If it's cooler in that room than that, use a space heater. Also, with a bath being a smaller area, if you do have any peel up they have a correction kit, which is basically just Super Glue.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. Mangy, I looked for the box and can't find it....but it was Novalis...here's a link to a discussion board about it.

Novalis peel-and-stick vinyl planks -- feedback? - Flooring Forum - GardenWeb

This makes me think we probably did ours in '06. It was pretty much the only brand out there at the time.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
I went to the showroom to look at the products and I am going with the Konecto. It looks fantastic. Also went to a company that had it installed on their floors.
So, ladies.....get your wine bottles ready to roll, roll, roll. Of course I will fill them with wine. :D