• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Re: goodbye Seagrove Market

Smiling JOe said:
I want to clarify my earlier statement. I, too, like the casual beachy feel of the building in which the Market is located. Before long, you will be required to wear kakhi pants and white shirts, or even worse, coats and ties, to enter these new upscale places. I like the places where I can let my hair down (if I had any to let down) and the market is one of those places. I cannot say that I shop at that market, or eat often at the restaurant, but when I do go in there, I certainly feel at home.

My thoughts exactly SJ. Except, most of the time when I am at the beach, I am bra-less. Meaning, I rarely have any other clothes on except my bathing suit and cover up. I am alway's shoeless. I picture a big sign on the door that say's. Shirts and shoes required......I have a lot of feelings about the look of the new place. But I will keep those sad feelings to myself. I know that I will continue to come to Seagrove Beach and Love it. I will alway's have the "old" Market in my heart!!!!

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch

Smiling JOe said:
Before long, you will be required to wear kakhi pants and white shirts, or even worse, coats and ties, to enter these new upscale places.
I can still remember the day I walked straight from the beach into Sundog (when it was on the beach side) barefoot, and stopped at the door, realizing I was about to enter a business shoeless. To this day, I remember the owner (sorry, his name escapes me at the moment...) saying, "You're at the beach! You don't need shoes!" And being able to go into almost anywhere along 30A "as is." I have a hard time wrapping my brain around any other scenario.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee

That owner had the right idea...make all feel welcome. No pretense.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

jessifunn said:
that building looks huge! how is it ever going to fit there? i don't like it and i really don't love it :sosad:
The building will stretch from 30-A all the way down thru Sandor's at least, maybe further.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

We (Mr Newyorker and I) loved Sandor's--we'd always wait to celebrate our late June wedding anniversary till we got to Seagrove so we'd have a good excuse to have a blowout dinner at Sandors. The food there was some of the best in North America, served in an atmosphere where we were made to feel comfortable and welcome.
Seagrove Market was a place to go in wearing flipflops and a bathing suit with shorts over it--and the live oaks next door to the market were always spooky and reminded us that we really were in a gorgeous and wild place. The new building is SoBe-like (or NYC trendy)--I live with NY pretentious--and I could actually save money by going to the Hamptons (I wouldn't have to fly) --but they're horribly pretentious and full of buildings like this one and with people who like to dress up at the beach. These sorts of developments disguise and try to tame nature--they're out of place totally.
But like many of you....I guess there's no turning back. But if more and more high rise condo-tels (love that one!) get built --then how will Sowal be any different than Destin ?(which, IMHO, is awful)

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)

Smiling JOe said:
I want to clarify my earlier statement. I, too, like the casual beachy feel of the building in which the Market is located. Before long, you will be required to wear kakhi pants and white shirts, or even worse, coats and ties, to enter these new upscale places. I like the places where I can let my hair down (if I had any to let down) and the market is one of those places. I cannot say that I shop at that market, or eat often at the restaurant, but when I do go in there, I certainly feel at home.

Thats better ! Really does not matter about the shirt & shoes because I will not be going to the new place anyway.
Sandors was good.

OKon30a

Beach Comber
Nov 27, 2005

Hello Seagrove Market...and then some- what an awesome project. I stopped in yesterday (old Sansors cafe, never dined there- could'nt figure it out ?) marketing office to find out what was really going on...this is a 5 star addition to the very heart of Seagrove that will compliment it's natural beauty and surroundings. Anyone wandering what's going on should do the same. I reserved a small, affordable unit then sent my brother over there to reserve the last one. Hope he gets it. The renderings are great and Billy and Chip are good ol' folksy guys who love the area as much as we do! Wish them much success as they move forward with this exciting venture.

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia

peapod1980 said:
I can still remember the day I walked straight from the beach into Sundog (when it was on the beach side) barefoot, and stopped at the door, realizing I was about to enter a business shoeless. To this day, I remember the owner (sorry, his name escapes me at the moment...) saying, "You're at the beach! You don't need shoes!" And being able to go into almost anywhere along 30A "as is." I have a hard time wrapping my brain around any other scenario.
Memories: I remember the summer that someone sold out "The Store" at Grayton and someone else tore out all the old wooden booths with names carved in every inch and I guess burned it or whatever. The Paradise Cafe opened up complete with candlelight and linen tablecloths. I refused to go into the building for a long time but one night went in for supper with Mama Sis. I could not even eat, I was choking back tears through the whole dinner. Well, the Paradise Cafe did not succeed but the Red Bar has and is far more in line with what The Store was but still not The Store. Things change. Thanks to the Friends of Grayton who helped to limit the construction of condos on the beach. Large houses still go up...things change...patrones is gone...more houses...however, the beach is still as beautiful as it was 50 years ago and I'm sure 100 years ago and I'm sure 2000 years ago. Nature changes things too but it is still awesome, wonderful, beautiful! Man will keep changing things too. We can do what we can do to keep the changes good but definitely cannot control them all.

PS: Brooklyn is going through a similar thing right now. A large project is breaking ground which will add a lot to the city but also take away a lot from the city. Whole nuther subject.

Enjoy what God has given us and be responsible with all you have. :love:

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound

steele mama said:
Memories: I remember the summer that someone sold out "The Store" at Grayton and someone else tore out all the old wooden booths with names carved in every inch and I guess burned it or whatever. The Paradise Cafe opened up complete with candlelight and linen tablecloths. I refused to go into the building for a long time but one night went in for supper with Mama Sis. I could not even eat, I was choking back tears through the whole dinner. Well, the Paradise Cafe did not succeed but the Red Bar has and is far more in line with what The Store was but still not The Store. Things change. Thanks to the Friends of Grayton who helped to limit the construction of condos on the beach. Large houses still go up...things change...patrones is gone...more houses...however, the beach is still as beautiful as it was 50 years ago and I'm sure 100 years ago and I'm sure 2000 years ago. Nature changes things too but it is still awesome, wonderful, beautiful! Man will keep changing things too. We can do what we can do to keep the changes good but definitely cannot control them all.

PS: Brooklyn is going through a similar thing right now. A large project is breaking ground which will add a lot to the city but also take away a lot from the city. Whole nuther subject.

Enjoy what God has given us and be responsible with all you have. :love:
Well, said, Baby Sis, but as much fun as the Red Bar is and as much as we all enjoy going there and Borago, too, I still long for the old times and the truly laid back days when THE STORE was the THE place and no one locked their doors and there were no rules.

The beach is still truly beautiful at Grayton and Western Lake is still serene at sunrise and full moon.

I HATE that the Seagrove Market is going away (it will NOT be the same, no matter what folks promise). We went to the Market long before it was "cool". It was just the only place nearby and always had good food! We eat there every time we're down (or up depending on where we come from). They always had meat, veggies, and stuff to make a complete meal. Good wine selection, too.

Oh, well, I'll still work to keep the PINK house like things used to be as much as my siblings will allow. My dad finally added indoor showers about eight years ago. Naturally, I was opposed (who wants more showers to clean????)

Just some of my 2 cents worth.....Happy 2006!