• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
You don't have to go to a major sporting event for a cool flyby, just hang in SoWal for a day or two. The USAF just sent 8, count 'em, F-14s down the beach toward Eglin at about 200 feet altitude.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Something flew over pretty low near the east end of the bay about 5:45 this morning too. I'm used to stuff so I hardly ever pay attention, but I paid attention to this one.

Did Tyndall hold their air show over the weekend? I thought it was last weekend...:dunno:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
That is one thing I do miss about living in SoWal. I loved seeing and hearing all the flyby's....:love:

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I love seeing that stuff. Those would have been F-15's. F-14's were Navy planes and have all been retired.
I still like seeing the big CH-53's helicopters out of Hurlburt and the A-10's that operate out of Eglin. I still haven't seen a hovercraft but have seen an Osprey...finally!

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
and about once a month, the Coast Guard flies what looks like a small corporate jet right up the beach at about 150 feet. I just saw my first hovercraft about a month ago. Every now and then, there will be a pair of small, single-engined turboprops that I guess are some kind of trainer.

Thanks for the correction on the F-15. They've got a lot of them at Eglin. I counted 35 or so sitting on the ground when my AA flight taxied in at VPS on Friday.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The Coasties will fly really really low to the water when they're doing search and rescue sweeps. Pretty impressive to watch.

On occasion, the AF reserves will train on the beach between Okasloosa Island and Navarre Beach by firing off Patriot missles from there.