• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Did you know--

Death may result from ingesting as little as 2 g of fluoride in an adult and 16 mg/kg in children. Symptoms may appear with 3-5 mg/kg of fluoride. (from emedicine-not a kook site) and there is approximately 4 mg per liter of water in typical fluoridated water. Over the course of one year, you typically drink more than 2 grams of fluoride if you drink fluoridated water and other drinks (coke, gatorade, etc) that use fluoridated water as a base.

OR, (from Pubmed medical database) A 10 kg child who ingests 50 mg fluoride (10.1 g 1.1% NaF gel; 32.7 g 0.63% SnF2 gel; 33.3 g 1,500 ppm F toothpaste; 50 g 1,000 ppm F toothpaste; and 221 mL 0.05% NaF rinse) will have ingested a probably toxic dose. Thats the equivalent of the fluoride in just 12 liters of fluoridated water.

Do you actually know anyone who sits around and eats more than a mouthfull of toothpaste? You are being absurd, especially if you think fluoride will do in someone who sits down and knocks back 12 liters of water, fluoridated or not.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Serious question: if we flouridated all of Walton County's water to improve dental health, would the people who are anti-flouride be able to remove it easily enough w/ a simple Brita (or similar) type filter?

I grew up on flouridated water and flouride pills and considering the prevalence and expense of dental problems in our county I certainly think flouridated water is a good idea. Please remember that for a lot of WaCo kids, flouride in the water is the least of their potential problems.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Serious question: if we flouridated all of Walton County's water to improve dental health, would the people who are anti-flouride be able to remove it easily enough w/ a simple Brita (or similar) type filter?

I grew up on flouridated water and flouride pills and considering the prevalence and expense of dental problems in our county I certainly think flouridated water is a good idea. Please remember that for a lot of WaCo kids, flouride in the water is the least of their potential problems.

No, I am not being absurd. Fluoride actually builds up in the body over time. Drinking it on a daily basis in large amounts is not a good idea.

And, to answer your question, you cannot remove fluoride with normal water filters. You need an expensive reverse osmosis filter system or a filter with activated alumina which requires maintenance in order to avoid problems with the alumina. Also, to really eliminate the fluoride from fluoridated water so that you get none in your shower, tub, hottub, etc where it is absorbed through the skin, you need a very, very expensive whole house rev osmosis or act alumina system. These can cost up to $10k.

So the best solution is CHOICE by leaving the fluoride out of the water system. For those that want fluoride, they would have a CHOICE to use rinses, fluoridated toothpaste, etc and for those that don't want the fluoride to have the ability to avoid it.

The debate is raging, but there are more and more advocates (scientists moving away from the idea of fluoridation) move to this side of the table. the tide is definitely turning.

dgsevier

Beach Fanatic
The poison control center only collects data on the calls it takes. Therefore, the database certainly is not complete.

But, did you know--

Death may result from ingesting as little as 2 g of fluoride in an adult and 16 mg/kg in children. Symptoms may appear with 3-5 mg/kg of fluoride. (from emedicine-not a kook site) and there is approximately 4 mg per liter of water in typical fluoridated water. Over the course of one year, you typically drink more than 2 grams of fluoride if you drink fluoridated water and other drinks (coke, gatorade, etc) that use fluoridated water as a base.

OR, (from Pubmed medical database) A 10 kg child who ingests 50 mg fluoride (10.1 g 1.1% NaF gel; 32.7 g 0.63% SnF2 gel; 33.3 g 1,500 ppm F toothpaste; 50 g 1,000 ppm F toothpaste; and 221 mL 0.05% NaF rinse) will have ingested a probably toxic dose. Thats the equivalent of the fluoride in just 12 liters of fluoridated water.

There is scientific data all over the place that will tell you that fluoride is one of the most toxic substances on earth. Why do you think it is the major component of a huge number of lethal pesticides.

And, not to worry. I won't forget to brush with my non fluoridated toothpaste and rinse with my non fluoridated water. By the way, no cavities in 30 years.

Dang, it sounds like you're lucky to be alive.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Dang, it sounds like you're lucky to be alive.

No worries. Everyone can have their own opinion about fluoride. Heck, if trained scientists, doctors, dentists, etc disagree on the issue, I guess we can too.

For me, better safe than sorry.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can understand that you would rather not have flouride in your water because of purported health concerns, but I would be more likely to be swayed by realistic numbers or scenarios.

A 22 lb kid drinking 12 liters of water (which at 26.4 lbs is more than THEY weigh) a day is not even close to realistic and makes me dismiss your statistics as hysteria.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
I can understand that you would rather not have flouride in your water because of purported health concerns, but I would be more likely to be swayed by realistic numbers or scenarios.

A 22 lb kid drinking 12 liters of water (which at 26.4 lbs is more than THEY weigh) a day is not even close to realistic and makes me dismiss your statistics as hysteria.

I was merely trying to point out how toxic fluoride is. Doesn't take many milligrams to kill a person. It's really nasty stuff.

If you think that is hysteria, oh well.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005

Here are excerpts from a 1999 interview of Dr. Hardy Limeback, B.Sc., Ph.D., in Biochemistry, D.D.S., a "kook" and one time head of the Department of Preventive Dentistry for the University of Toronto, and president of the Canadian Association for Dental Research a staunch proponent of fluoridation until he too had a major change of opinion--

One of the most obvious living experiments today, Dr. Limeback believes, is a proof-positive comparison between any two Canadian cities. "Here in Toronto we've been fluoridating for 36 years. Yet Vancouver - which has never fluoridated - has a cavity rate lower than Toronto's." And, he pointed out, cavity rates are low all across the industrialized world including Europe, which is 98% fluoride free. Low because of improved standards of living, less refined sugar, regular dental checkups, flossing and frequent brushing. Now less than 2 cavities per child Canada-wide, he said.

"I have absolutely no training in toxicity," he stated firmly. "Your well-intentioned dentist is simply following 50 years of misinformation from public health and the dental association. Me, too. Unfortunately, we were wrong."

"Speaking as the head of preventive dentistry, I told them that I had unintentionally mislead my colleagues and my students. For the past 15 years, I had refused to study the toxicology information that is readily available to anyone. Poisoning our children was the furthest thing from my mind."

Are lawsuits inevitable?" I asked the good doctor. "Remember tobacco," was his short, succinct reply.

These are not the words of some kook (such as me :D) off the internet.

Again, I believe CHOICE is the key word here. By dumping fluoride into the municipal water supply, you take away the choice of folks that would rather not touch the stuff (unless they are wealthy enough to put in very expensive whole house water filters). By leaving it out of the water supply, people that want fluoride can buy fluoridated toothpaste, fluoride tablets, rinses, etc.

This argument is akin to the Dog Fly plane discussion. Are any of you that argued against the Dog Fly plane spraying now arguing for fluoridation???

Last edited:

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
FWIW, a trusted family health advisor suggested steering clear of fluoride when the kids were little. I didn't really understand why, but this person had also provided natural remedies for a number of ailments that MDs had been unable to cure or even relieve, so I followed the no-fluoride advice.

The kids are almost 17 and 20, and not a single cavity. I grew up getting those nasty tasting fluoride treatments at the dentist, though I'm not sure about the water where I grew up -- have had a mouthful of cavities since my permanent teeth started coming in.

Just one mom's perspective to add to the mix.

BTW I spoke against spraying poisons on us from airplanes.