• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

yankee-clipper

Beach Crab
Mar 2, 2009
santa rosa bch
My apologies if this has been discussed in another thread recently, but my search didn't show anything. With all of the talk lately about infrastructure spending and allocations going to "shovel-ready" projects, I was curious what was the last official statement about when/if any funding would be sought for the new 331 bridge. What "shovel-ready" projects are in the area, and who decides what projects meet that term?
Well, this is what I think and know----331 is a State Hwy. Hwys are to be funded by the State. 331 is in Walton Cty so the Mid-Bay Auth. has no say ! It is our county's only evacuation route out of So Wal . Yes, expansion is needed-but when? When hurricanes occur and storms that run the vacationers out? Lots of discussion needs to be brainstormed b-4 any actions occur. #1 = Local input must occur !!!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
DeFuniak Springs, Florida – $237,500 in federal funds has been designated for the widening project of U.S. Highway 331 by the federal government along with an additional $95,000 towards the widening project of the Clyde B. Wells Bridge. The funding was secured by U.S. Senator Bill Nelson and U.S. Congressman Jeff Miller in the 2009 Omnibus Appropriations Bill following several years of visits to Washington, D.C. by Walton County commissioners and administrative leaders.

Senator Nelson announced the appropriation to Walton County commissioners Kenneth Pridgen, and Cecilia Jones, and other county officials during their visit with congressional leaders in Washington, D.C. March 13. President Obama had just signed the bill which included the funding for Walton County.

Federal funding for widening U.S. Highway 331 is the number one priority for Walton County, says County Administrator Ronnie Bell. “This is the first time we have received federal dollars for this project,” he says. “Although our request to federal leaders for this project is seven million for widening the highway and five million for widening the bridge, the $332,000 awarded for these projects will enable us to secure future funds more easily,” he says.
U.S. Congressman Jeff Miller agrees with county leaders that U.S. Highway 331 plays a major role in public safety and economic development. “Highway 331 is a critical North/South artery for Walton County and the entire length of Northwest Florida,” he says. “This expansion means reduced traffic, ease of evacuation in case of a hurricane, and a potential shot-in-the-arm for economic development. I appreciate the hard work of all those in Walton County who made this vision a reality.”
Senator Bill Nelson says this funding may be the beginning to future federal assistance. “Hopefully, this will help jumpstart these vital road projects,” says Nelson.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007
QUOTE:

Does anyone in privity with the BCC know specifics about what these funds will be used for?

I'm guessing the $$$ will go to lobbyist, more trips to Washington for the local commissioners and possibly a feasibility study done by a high paid consultant that used to work directly for the county.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Those Fed funds won't likely cover the lobbyists expenses alone. They sure as heck won't pave any roads, maybe a driveway or two, but no roads.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Here is an article about stimulus funding for infrastructure in NW Florida.

NWF to receive $88 million in stimulus | stimulus, state, gaetz - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

I am not sure if this is all encompassing but it looks like the bridge is not part of stimulus 1.

Okaloosa County is receiving the bulk of the stimulus dollars. The top priority for the region, which will be fully funded through the stimulus program, is the $46 million flyover ramp at the south intersection of State Road 85 and State Road 123 and the reconfiguring of the entrance to Northwest Florida Regional Airport....

Santa Rosa County is expected to receive $11.4 million, most of which will be used to widen Avalon Boulevard. Walton County will get $1.8 million, which will be used to build a pedestrian bridge, sidewalks and a resurfacing project. Escambia and Bay counties will get a total of about $24 million.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
you know, if they didn't want to pay for a bridge, then the powers-that-be shouldn't have allowed so much development. as it is even with a 4-lane evacuation in case of hurricane will be difficult during the high season.