• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cherijean

Beach Fanatic
I have a book on birds and it says they are in Southern FL during winter. It then says they can be found along the Atlantic coast and that they summer only in the Northeast part of FL.

This little guy must be lost, because I caught him in Sowal!

we've had an indigo bunting in our feeder as well this year... 1st time ever!

we love our birds ... they are so beautiful :love:

jd

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2008
Atlanta
And now a bunch of Cedar Waxwings have suddenly showed up. About 20 of them. I am attaching a picture I took in February of 2007 in Ft Walton Beach of several hundred of these in a single tree. I had printed out the page and carefully put a line on each bird I could seperately count and I came up with something like 432 birds. If each bird only weighed 4 ounces, that tree had nearly 100 pounds of birds in at at one time.

Now, that is an amazing sight! Looking at the thumbnail, I thought the birds were leaves!!!!!!!

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I saw the waxwings yesterday in my trees!

Oh, how my sweet Mother doth covet the indigo bunting at her feeders! thanks for sharing Ash and thanks Lori for the intriguing facts on their migration. I may have to start birdwatching at night.:cool:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
And now a bunch of Cedar Waxwings have suddenly showed up. About 20 of them. I am attaching a picture I took in February of 2007 in Ft Walton Beach of several hundred of these in a single tree. I had printed out the page and carefully put a line on each bird I could seperately count and I came up with something like 432 birds. If each bird only weighed 4 ounces, that tree had nearly 100 pounds of birds in at at one time.

wow! what a great shot!

thanks for the birdy pix ash! very cool.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
There were a couple of those that came to my back sunroom window the other day and fluttered there kinda against the window. It wasn't like a parakeet flying into a mirror but it reminded of such. I went out back and wanted to snap some photos but my camera is only 3x zoom and they skirted off to the bushes and would have only been a spec in the photo.

I adored the color. Beautiful bird.

Winnie

Beach Fanatic
Jul 22, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I have a book on birds and it says they are in Southern FL during winter. It then says they can be found along the Atlantic coast and that they summer only in the Northeast part of FL.

If there are more beautiful birds, I have never seen them. That color is so unreal! Lucky you!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We have 3 bunting "couples" that have been hanging out at our feeder all week! They seem to get along with the cardinals- together they are VERY colorful!

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States

Hey Ash, we had a few indigo buntings this past year all the way up here. And the year before we had around 25 out around our feeders. And they were males. Very pretty. I couldn't believe how many we had. They stayed around maybe a week and then moved on. Hope to see a few this year.

Last edited:

Goddessgal

Beach Lover
Mar 28, 2007
Florida!
Very neat! I have yet to see one here south of Houston. We do have Yellow-crested Night Herons nesting in the trees in our neighborhood. A few months ago we also had some Great Horned Owls who nested in a tree in our yard - my favorite!