• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Freeport would be nice. I no likey the drive to Destin!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Don't even JOKE about that soul sucking retail hell-hole coming to 30-A!!! :angry:
You said it!
wal-mart-greeter-gone-wild-1.jpg

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
we have NEVER purchased ANYTHING at a walmart. if they decide to try to open here we should talk to the folks in mary esther who successfully fought building one in their town!

There are some interesting parcels up and down Hwy 98 that already have a DO for a big box store approved. Just a matter of changing the name from one to another. The time to fight has already passed.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I bet there's a lot of "closet Walmart shoppers" on and around 30A.

Hi, I'm Shelly, I live in South Walton county and I occasionally shop at Walmart (I also own their stock). Would I like to have had Walmart never happen?--of course, but it's now so big, it's woven into the fabric of American retail.

With all the "investulator/developers" who are commerical-property-rich and cashflow poor, and the counties pimping themselves for any kind of tax revenue and "job growth," I don't think it's a matter "if" Walmart will pop up near here, it's a matter of "when." And as the economy slogs through the depths of this recession, I think Walmart is watching and patiently waiting, waiting, waiting...

Once this genie is let loose from the bottle, watch out for the food chain drive-thrus to fly in under the radar.

Last edited:

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
I don't like shopping at WalMart at all - shopping at WalMart is a nightmare - but I would LOVE to see a Target in South Walton on Hwy 98 as well as a Whole Foods and a CVS or other big box drugstore.

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008

Hi, I'm Shelly, I live in South Walton county and I occasionally shop at Walmart (I also own their stock). Would I like to have had Walmart never happen?--of course, but it's now so big, it's woven into the fabric of American retail.

With all the "investulator/developers" who are commerical-property-rich and cashflow poor, and the counties pimping themselves for any kind of tax revenue and "job growth," I don't think it's a matter "if" Walmart will pop up near here, it's a matter of "when." And as the economy slogs through the depths of this recession, I think Walmart is watching and patiently waiting, waiting, waiting...

Once this genie is let loose from the bottle, watch out for the food chain drive-thrus to fly in under the radar.

Shelly, I totally agree with you here. 98 is prime real estate for this to happen. It's inevitable.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009

that's the problem. all walmart sees is a potential market with big sales numbers in destin. the only way to really stop is is to stop shopping there. a colleague did a documentary about it and this is his website. http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/