• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Wal-mart prices aren't really that low - in the interests of fairness I checked their prices on many of my "staple" groceries. To my surprise (and delight) there wasn't much savings on many items. Smart shopping at Publix or Winn Dixie will save you more $.

Publix, Winn Dixie and Walgreens, etc., do have some excellent loss-leader prices, but Walmart fought back using their "price matching" strategy, which in turn caused these stores to do Buy-one-get-one sales or 10 for $10 which Walmart don't honor. So in a way, having an area Walmart helps drive prices down further. And when a new Walmart comes into an area, I've seen them hang the competitior's ad by the item and then show a lower price (i.e., the ad for advocados on sale at Publix for $0.75 cut out and placed on the advocado bin at Walmart with a price of $0.70.). Walmart was developed on a business strategy that fit nicely into corporate America's desire to keep worker's wages low.

I think the lure of Walmart is not just the lower prices...where can a time-strapped working single mother shop at 4am and pick up a jar of peanut butter; a blonde wig; and a set of radial tires all in one stop?

As long as the American people cling the the ideal of being Debt Slaves, Walmart will prevail.

Last edited:

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
Okay you Wal-Mart Lovers, Here's a little game for you to play........ also a little dose of reality for the SOWAL area, should a Wal-Mart ever come..... Hope it doesn't offend....

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I hear you, but I've seen the way gov't works, and I disagree. When gov't realizes the potential tax revenues from a business like Walmart, a store which pulls in buyers in large numbers, they often offer HUGE tax incentives to lure the business to the otherwise expensive area. Gov't wants money, and to stay in office, politicians do whatever they can to keep the taxes from increasing, and this is one way to do it. So, it is vital that you know who you are putting into office when you vote, locally.

Excellent points SJ. Had forgotten about this aspect.

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County
Okay you Wal-Mart Lovers, Here's a little game for you to play........ also a little dose of reality for the SOWAL area, should a Wal-Mart ever come..... Hope it doesn't offend....

You have most likely offended about 95% of the people here. Lots of closet Walmart shoppers on here or at least their families. Get out of your box. Your attepmt at being a comedian is degrading to alot of people. Take a hike.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
The last time I was in a fight was Walmart in Tallahassee! Pretty funny story actually. It was in the nursery area. Some guy thought I was supposed to be in bait and tackle area and was a little offended with me. He pushed me aside and as soon as his hand touched my shirt, I hit him in the nose as hard as I could. I actually had to hit him in the nose three times to get him off me. Anyways, I got out of there and left him laying on the floor! I was afraid for my life at this point and not really sure what came over me. Needless to say, I try to avoid Walmart.:blink:

Last edited:

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
So, is there a Walmart already planned or is this all just speculation?

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
In the realm of interesting but probably useless information....a year or two ago, I heard that the WalMart at Panama City Beach is the wrold's largest retailer of Bud Light.

I confess to shopping at WalMart sometimes too -- Most of the time it is for stuff I cannot find anywhere else, because I guess WalMarts put the smaller stores out of business that used to carry such things? But when I come out of WalMart, I always feel strange and ungrounded -- too many flourescent lights? Or perhaps just that it is so huge, almost frightening in its scale?

I heard a very interesting story on NPR a few years ago. I think it was the National Press Club's weekly show, and their guest speaker was head of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. He was telling the story of how WalMart finally managed to get a store into some small town in Vermont. The town consistently refused to allow WalMart to put in one of their typical huge stores, and they finally reached a compromise where the store went into an existing downtown building, with MUCH smaller square footage than the usual megastores.

To almost everyone's delight and surprise, this small store turned out to be WalMart's largest grossing store per square foot. Sounds a little similar towhat little I know about the Publix in WaterColor. Much smaller than their typical store, but obviously they are selling groceries like mad and have trouble keeping the shelves stocked all through summer and on peak holidays at other times of year. Maybe smaller is better, when it's well located? That's what all the research tells us about schools, too -- small neighborhood schools perform better than megaschools. I think I see a pattern here .

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Susan Horn, not only is the PCB Walmart the leading seller of beer in North America, but the Destin Walmart is reportedly the leading seller of wine in North America. So much for thoughts that Walmart cannot succeed in a tourist area.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
how can someone support a walmart or any store down the road, but then suggest you don't want it in your neighborhood?
that's seriously hypocritical. walmart wouldn't come here if they didn't have your business.
and walmart is VERY different from other big box stores like target and whole foods and publix. they do not provide good jobs to the community. i recently met a woman who worked at walmart shopping at target, because she said even with her discount, the products at target were safer for her baby. you either support walmart or you don't. if you shop there, you patronize the store and their development here. plain and simple.