• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Nomads

Beach Comber
Aug 30, 2005
Re: goodbye Seagrove Market

Last night we heard that one of the owners of Seagrove Village Market is also one of the developers for the new Seagrove project. Is this true? :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

Nomad said:
Last night we heard that one of the owners of Seagrove Village Market is also one of the developers for the new Seagrove project. Is this true? :dunno:
Maybe that is because DST Carnival, LLC now owns the Village Market property??? :dunno:

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal

In economic and real estate worlds, one seeks the "highest and best use" for a property. This is defined by dollars, not nostalgia. Sure, I'll miss the old market, but in life change is inevitable.

In my opinion, there are bigger issues to fret about. For example, the seawalls appear to be a disaster in the making. The coastal dune lakes are threaten by run-off from all the new construction. I've seen people draining their swimming pools into Western Lake. I see brown sand dumped next to the boat ramp in Grayton. These are issues that we can influence through activism. Crying about losing the market is futile.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal

lurker1 said:
In economic and real estate worlds, one seeks the "highest and best use" for a property. This is defined by dollars, not nostalgia. Sure, I'll miss the old market, but in life change is inevitable.

In my opinion, there are bigger issues to fret about. For example, the seawalls appear to be a disaster in the making. The coastal dune lakes are threaten by run-off from all the new construction. I've seen people draining their swimming pools into Western Lake. I see brown sand dumped next to the boat ramp in Grayton. These are issues that we can influence through activism. Crying about losing the market is futile.
The endgame for "highest and best use" is highrise condos. 30A is an anamoly to this economically criminal behavior. The ranting is over a throwback gathering place being displaced by developers who may not care about the existing character of the community. Would you want this project plunked down on Banfill???

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal

BOB - of course I wouldn't want to see this project on Banfill Street. Fortunately, current zoning would prevent this. The site at 30A and 395 was previously zoned for a hotel. This is a lawful use for the property (whether I personally like it or not).

My point is for folks to get active. Petition local government to tighten zoning, if that's what you want. Nostalgia doesn't solve the problem of over-zealous development; activism can (I hope).

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

lurker1 said:

Seawalls, new construction, and using cheap brown sand is also defined by dollars....sounds as if you might be overly "nostalgic" about the white beaches of the area...but as you said, "change is inevitable"...so let it go.