• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Can't speak for anyone else but my preference for Target is due to the quality of the merchandise offered, the layout of the store, etc. and has nothing to with who shops there and that is truly sad if someone does feel that way.

I find shopping at Wal-Mart to be very stressful in that for some reason the way the merchandise is arranged makes no sense to me. I seem to wonder around always looking for something in the wrong area.

What gets me is the way they move the mdse around all the time. I love the Lowe's in DeFuniak, I went in there, learned where everything was, and it is still there months later. Makes dashing in and out quite easy. But Wal Mart, no telling where I might find what I need.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Our local Target stores are clean, organized, and employees are friendly. I suspect the training helps with this. Their employees smile, thank you, and sometimes ask if they can help! We all should expect at least this much from our retail stores.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Well Wal-Mart's strategy is if you can't find what you are looking for you will wander around more and not dash in and dash out. They believe that you will buy something else you just happen to see while wandering.

Rita, your Target sounds like the one I shop at. They keep their employees longer and therefore you get to know them, the store is very clean and it is very organized. I also like the fact that Target has a house at St. Jude for the families of the patients.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Target, yes, they are generally cleaner stores (less traffic), but I've never been assisted by anyone in Target, nor Walmart, unless I go track down someone for a special question or request. The biggest difference, IMO, is not quality of product. Both have the same cheaply-made crap which works well enough. However, Target doesn't offer a McDonald's in the store, you cannot buy a set of tires and an oil change while you shop for other crap, you cannot get a pedicure or manicure while you wait on your oil change, you cannot get your prescriptions filled, you cannot have your eye-glasses replaced, you cannot buy a 5# bag of frozen chicken wings, etc. Really, we aren't talking apples to apples comparison. The other big difference I notice between the two is that Target usually has a lack of shoppers while Walmart is packed liked DisneyWorld most of the time. Other than that, they are both big stores with more stuff than I need, and I can find that stuff elsewhere, except those Maui Onion Potato Chips that Target has, but I stopped eating chips, so that doesn't matter either.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Target, yes, they are generally cleaner stores (less traffic), but I've never been assisted by anyone in Target, nor Walmart, unless I go track down someone for a special question or request. The biggest difference, IMO, is not quality of product. Both have the same cheaply-made crap which works well enough. However, Target doesn't offer a McDonald's in the store, you cannot buy a set of tires and an oil change while you shop for other crap, you cannot get a pedicure or manicure while you wait on your oil change, you cannot get your prescriptions filled, you cannot have your eye-glasses replaced, you cannot buy a 5# bag of frozen chicken wings, etc. Really, we aren't talking apples to apples comparison. The other big difference I notice between the two is that Target usually has a lack of shoppers while Walmart is packed liked DisneyWorld most of the time. Other than that, they are both big stores with more stuff than I need, and I can find that stuff elsewhere, except those Maui Onion Potato Chips that Target has, but I stopped eating chips, so that doesn't matter either.

I haven't posted for a long time, and I have no idea why I find it necessary to do so on this thread, but our Targets do have pharmacies. Also, in other larger markets, there are Super Targets with full grocery store sections, etc. just like a Super Walmart. They also all have some sort of a chain food store (Starbucks here). So they are more similar than you are portraying. Target has more of a focus on design than Walmart, which is why it appeals to a more sophisticated demographic.

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I haven't posted for a long time, and I have no idea why I find it necessary to do so on this thread, but our Targets do have pharmacies. Also, in other larger markets, there are Super Targets with full grocery store sections, etc. just like a Super Walmart. They also all have some sort of a chain food store (Starbucks here). So they are more similar than you are portraying. Target has more of a focus on design than Walmart, which is why it appeals to a more sophisticated demographic.

Target is too red. The whole store looks like one of Wal-Mart's seasonal Valentines Day display aisles year round.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
If there was a WalMart or a Target in South Walton on 98 I would shop there. I've tried my best to stay close to home and shop here for about 3 years, but I do miss that many times I can get it all done at once with a run to WalMart. The quality at Target is much nicer, but many things I can get at WalMart are a lot less expensive. I've lived all over and the people, whatever class you want to bother to put them in, does not in the least incringe on my shopping experience. Let's face it there will be one or the other on 98 east sooner or later. I'll wave if I see you there!!! :wave:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
:scratch: I guess it just depends on which store you are at - as in location. The Target Super Store on Seigen (in Baton Rouge) is waaay worse off then the Wal Mart in Prairieville. IMO. THere are two types of people working at these 2 stores. The Target always has emplyees standing around - talking to other employees, texting on their cell phone, and even talking on their cell phone. :roll: Last week I saw an employee sitting in the corner in the clothing section just chatting away. Out come some foul language and I immediately looked at her (it was the childrens section) They are always out of buggies but the buggy bring in guy is always in the parking lot ON HIS PHONE! :bang: I could go on and on. Due to these occurances I have found the local wal mart actually better than target when it comes to the employees. :dunno:

I have bought many things from Target and Walmart and have been pleased with the product. I dont buy tools from either, or fine jewelry but really dont know what makes Bed bath and beyonds products better than Wal Mart or Targets. I mean 300 thread count sheets are 300 thread count sheets correct? tide is tide..... coke is coke. am I missing something??? :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
No, 300 thread count sheets are not necessarily 300 thread count. 300 thread count could mean that it is 150 thread count of two-ply threads. The size of the thread does matter for strength and comfort. The finer the thread, the thinner and more delicate the sheet. The gov't doesn't regulate thread counts, so go by the feel, when buying sheets, and throw away the thought of using thread counts.

I continually read that people think the quality of products at Walmart and Target differs. Are you guys referring to specific items? I see the same brand names at both stores, except for the clothing. From electronics, to music, appliances, food (except for Target and Walmart brands), cleaning supplies, garden supplies, watches/jewelry, toys, furniture, picture frames, tools, etc, they both seem to carry similar brand products, which likely in most circumstances, are the same quality. I've bought clothing at both, and noticed no difference in quality. Walmart often has name brands like Ocean Pacific, Wrangler, etc, while Target usually has the Target brands. Just curious as to how your perceptions in quality differ.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I did once - Dunelaker raves about their meat so I stopped one day. Rare for me to be in Freeport around grocery time and I like Publix, so didn't feel the need to repeat the experience. (Now I just cut out the middle man and go to her house for dinner. :D)

Not the best grocery I've ever been in, but not evil incarnate like Wal-mart, hence my questioning of its classification.

I probably did say something nice about Kelly's meat department years ago when favorite daughter was going to school in Freeport (before SWHS built). It was convenient (had to be in Freeport anyway to pick daughter up) and cheap (got a bag of chicken thighs and legs for like 29 cents per pound). Yes this was around 2001. Anyway, Scooty, rest assured that meat is from Thriftway in DeFuniak, especially those big ol' steaks. Publix has good sales on meat products and I've been pleased with their quality and service. I do try to avoid Wal Mart as I've learned more about their corporate operations. But, I confess that I sometimes stop by the DeFuniak store when I'm up there. My second cousin, in her 80s and I adore, really admonishes me not to shop at Wal Mart. Buying local is a good thing for many reasons. I will try harder.