• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
In this episode of 'Another Walk with Mike' we'll actually travel by kayak and not by foot. And we'll kayak with the Big Reptile... the American Alligator.

This encounter came after I returned my little prizes to their mother and knew of some gator near Daphne, Alabama where the highway bridge meets dry land. You can view these gator from the bridge while coming from Mobile to Daphne. I decided to get a closer look.

I was almost toppled. In the video, which I had to edit due to an expletive that shot out of my mouth, by accident of course. A huge gator had just entered the water and I was filming its wake when suddenly, I looked down and he was eye ball to eye ball with me, less than a foot from my kayak. I inadvertently said, "Oh ----" and I guess the gator had the same reaction and split in a hurry.

The water was muddy and it is very uncommon for a big gator to surface close to your water craft. It happens all the time with the smaller gator. Luckily, when he thrust down under, his body did not contact my kayak, but he did send plenty of water onto me and into my kayak. It was a close call to be toppled as even just in his submergence my kayak was dancing on the surface.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2hYnobfN4"]YouTube - Kayaking with Gator[/ame]

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Gators love to eat cajuns.

Apparently he didn't have much of a sweet tooth on that particular day :D

In my vast experience with gator, this is the first big one that has surfaced next to the boat. I usually don't see them again at all once they disappear. However, the little ones will sometimes pester me alongside the kayak. Little, as in less than 7 feet. My kayak is only 9.5 feet and I'm right on the water, so it can definately be intimidating being around these sizable creatures.

There are no guarantees out there.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Apparently he didn't have much of a sweet tooth on that particular day :D

In my vast experience with gator, this is the first big one that has surfaced next to the boat. I usually don't see them again at all once they disappear. However, the little ones will sometimes pester me alongside the kayak. Little, as in less than 7 feet. My kayak is only 9.5 feet and I'm right on the water, so it can definately be intimidating being around these sizable creatures.

There are no guarantees out there.

You live life dangerously. There is no way I'd be in a kayak in that swamp water around all of those big gators. They almost turned you over. Great video footage though.

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
One would have freaked me out, but there was a whole family of them out there! You could have been their lunch! (very cool though on film!)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
from the looks of that berm where the big one was and its reaction to you, it probably was a "she".

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
That was great. I saw a pretty big gator in Tucker Bayou early this morning. He went under and came back up one time. Also saw a raccoon on the bank nearby, seemed odd to see him out there in full light with a gator not far away.

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Regarding the 'sex' of the big one, I'd guess it was a male because of its size, but hey, I'm no expert. If I were back in Louisiana I would be in a particular bayou system where, in my kayak, I could easily spot well over 100 on any given day. I never shot video at that time but wish I would have some of that footage.

It seems like you guys are interested in gator. I actually love my snake videos a bit more but maybe that's because I am use to seeing so, so many gator in Louisiana. Part of my quest is still to get a great big Eastern Diamondback on film. Right now I'm hurting from all of my recent walking and the head cold that seems to be accompanying my efforts. I may go out in my kayak and try to see some more gator tomorrow.

I do get afraid and nevous and do get school girl shills sometimes when I'm out there. I've studied about gators and interestingly, almost all the attacks and deaths from gator occur here in Florida. And I have read that they are more prone to go after someone in a kayak than in other craft. It may be due to the craft being so low to the water. If you think about it, physically, all they see is a small frame, your upper body.

The other problem is that even zoomed all the way with my camera(I only have a 3 times zoom) I have to get right on the damn thing to have an effective filming. If I can be stealthy and sneek up on them I can get a good shot. Preferably, I can get up close and then get out on land and shoot some film.

I brought my bass boat back to Louisiana, when I was thinking about moving back, but I still have my kayak here. You know, I may look into getting a roommate to offset my expenses. Then I could take a few excursions and not leave behind such a high monthly bill for this place. My darn account is so, so down from my not working consistently. Should I be surprised? lol

Btw, I'd love to get some mammal footage of a coyote or deer. But again, with my zoom capability I'd need to be within 30 or 40 feet to get any kind of a shot. A stand in a good spot might be the ticket. Anyway, thanks for all the responses.