• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
:clap:and, upon reflection, that is probably a good thing for 30A and those who love it!

Last edited:

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
If Destin is analguous to greater "Los Angeles," then 30A is Malibu.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Talk about rising and fallling together. Communities that built back with some regard for their natural surroundings will live to see another day. I predict that the Emerald Grand will indeed fall into the Gulf in the future and block the Destin Harbor. Just IMHO.

We can only hope. Since fishing regulations have just about put the fleet out of business the pass is pretty much only used for drunks to get to Crab Island from the harbor. I was bringing a first time visitor back to 30A from VPS the other day and was so glad there was HEAVY fog so they couldnt see that thing.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I am always skeptical of someone else's argument when the only way they prove their point is by denigrating some other idea. Case in point: Peter Bos bolsters Destin by pronouncing gloom and doom on the communities of 30-A. What's wrong? Destin can't stand on its own merits? Why the need to tear down what we have in SoWal? :dunno:

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
That's OK Peter B, more sand and tranquility for us. Enjoy your mall.

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
Gloom and doom came to Destin when they started building high rises.Haven't stayed there in quite a while, prefer the quiet of 30-A. First time I went to Destin it was a great deal like 30-A is now. I think there was one deep sea fishing charter, a few old cottages, then after a hurricane everything changed and so called progress took over. Hope 30-A stays the way it is.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I was down for a few days a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in twenty years, I did not stay in SoWal. Why? A number of reasons really. I got tired of all the fees. Cleaning fee, admin fee, reservation fee, deposit, etc. Another reason is the highly variable condition of condos/homes for rent. Most owners are reasonable and furnish and decorate their units in keeping with the cost but sadly there are a number of owners who let the carpet go until it is way beyond nasty; same with upholstered furniture. And then came the proposal to raise the bed tax in Walton County. Let's see, I get to pay an increased bed tax so that the county can market to tourists farther away than they currently market to. That put me over the edge.

I stayed in a hotel, had a nice ocean view, got a free hot breakfast every morning and free drinks at night. All for a very attractive rate. No muss, no fuss, no deposit, no cleaning fee, etc.

I truly believe that the typical American consumer changed after October 2008. Most are looking after their wallets a little closer, looking for deals and negotiating rates and other purchases. I believe this change will be permanent.

What was the traffic like during your stay in Destin? ;-)

conched out

Beach Lover
Jun 15, 2008
Stay away from 30A Peter B...LOVE it here without your "footprint". Keep doing your thing
in Destin. We are so happy you didn't have the same "vision" for 30A. I grew up in Boca Raton
in the 60's when it was authentic, old Florida, tranquil and close to perfection. I watched what
happened when the condos, malls, and growth trampled the town and it lost all of its
character and became something I didn't recognize. I never "got" the whole Destin thing here
as a visitor over the years. But then we detoured last year to 30A. It was love at first sight, bought
2 months later. Its the closest I have come to feeling the old Florida vibe again. Can't get enough of it. And my three kids...all in their twenties love it as well. And I shop in Destin now and
then and can't WAIT to get back to my quiet cottage. The interview was so self serving and so
off target as it related to 30A. You must have been having a bad day. Maybe need to come
down our way for a little R and R.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I stayed in a hotel, had a nice ocean view, got a free hot breakfast every morning and free drinks at night. All for a very attractive rate. No muss, no fuss, no deposit, no cleaning fee, etc.

Now the Embassy Suites in Miramar Beach is understandable; who can complain about free beer and breakfast? I could live there if the hotel were on the beach side of Scenic 98 and the units had balconies. That area is still SoWal (but still not 30A). I stay there on business trips - cheap!

Yellow Hammer

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2007
Reporter: So Satan, what do you think of the real estate market....
Satan: Well Heaven is over rated, full of pretntious do gooders, with the "soul" intent of being part of a community...how shallow is that..
Reporter: So what part of the market to you see returning?
Satan: Well...Hell. With purgatory being the place for families wishing to miss the hustle and bustle of a burgeoning city full of fun loving, violently amusing, miserable people that used to go to Panama City.

Last edited: