• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

colby

Beach Comber
Jun 12, 2007
Question for the room:

When we came down last September, the love bugs were out in full force. Is that a seasonal thing ... a weather thing? We've never been in town that late in the summer, so I was hoping it was just "that time of year".

Also, ran into some bull sharks as well ... is the water temperature right now cool enough that they won't be as many in the water as in late summer? We're coming down next week and I intend to spend much of my time in the water.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Yes, the love bugs are a seasonal thing, I still don't have any idea of there purpose! They are very annoying, and difficult to get off your car. They don't bite, and are basically harmless. The Gulf of Mexico is actually a shark breeding area, there are many, watch out. Particularly now that the Shark Festival no longer kills them due to the "protests" concerning the "finning" in the Pacific. How that affects the Gulf, I don't know.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Way to scare the tourists, there, Florida Girl! :bang:

Colby, yes, there are sharks in the Gulf--many of them, in fact--but they seldom bother people. We're not on their food chain!

You should always exercise caution when swimming in the Gulf, and be mindful of the flags that are posted. Not just for the sharks, but because there are all kinds of creatures who live there, as well as dangerous currents.

However, being cautious and being unreasonably frightened are two very different things. Please enjoy your vacation, and come back often, but pay attention to your surroundings and the warnings provided. You'll be fine! Better than fine, actually, you'll be in paradise!

:shark:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Question for the room:

When we came down last September, the love bugs were out in full force. Is that a seasonal thing ... a weather thing? We've never been in town that late in the summer, so I was hoping it was just "that time of year".

Also, ran into some bull sharks as well ... is the water temperature right now cool enough that they won't be as many in the water as in late summer? We're coming down next week and I intend to spend much of my time in the water.

I've been here for years and haven't seen a shark except while at the Gulfarium or deep sea fishing. Just be careful and you'll have a great trip.

No love bugs right now. :wave:

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Yes, but Colby wasn't asking about your political views. He was asking whether he would be safe while swimming in our local waters.

Undoubtedly, if he is cautious and pays attention to his surroundings, he will be safe and sound! :wave:

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
If you are willing to take the risk by getting in a car and driving here (this is VERY dangerous) then you should have no problem taking a smaller "risk" and having some fun in the Gulf...

Play the numbers. They are in your favor.

EDIT: Love bugs- they don't visit here often. Sharks- they're locals...
:)

Last edited: