• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ckralich

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2009
Charlotte
Just recently go back from our first trip to SoWal. We stayed in Watersound for the week. Here are my observations;
1. I wish someone would build a highway straight from Montgomery, AL to I-10/331
2. The ride from Montgomery to SoWal is beautiful. Better than heading to Columbus.
3. I never thought I could live in Florida. I could live in SoWal though.
4. Watersound is beautiful.
5. Rosemary Beach is like being on a movie set - gorgeous.
6. How do people rent out a $1 million condo on the water for $2k a week? Seems low to me
7. $10 for a picture with an alligator at Fudpuckers is worth it. The food in the restaraunt is not worth the $.
8. Watersound appears to have some serious beach errosion issues. Also, there is a creek right on the beach with brown water. We called is soda water. Very odd.
9. Although the beach is beautiful in SoWal, having a pool (especially a heated one) is great
10. I could ride up and down 30-A all day and look at it. I hope it stays just like it is.
11. SoWal is way better than Destin IMHO
12. Unlike going to Disney World, once we got there I hardly spent any money other than eating out. Not walking around with a wad of $20 bills is very nice.
13. I wish I could afford a house in Watersound.
14. Being on the south side of 30-A seems way better than being on the north
15. Having a flag system really helps when you have to explain to your kids they can't go in the water.
16. Playing in the waves with your kids is awesome. I wonder if my parents stood there and watched for sharks the whole time?
17. Has anyone ever considered repaving 30-A?
18. That weird house near Rosemary Beach is weird. Also, what happened in Alys Beach? It seems like it never took off.
19. Camp Creek golf course looks sweet. But, at $145 I'll just drive past it a few more times.
20. Driving over the bridge to PCB is like entering a whole different place.
21. How is it the Publix near Watersound can look so nice on the outside, but seem 30 years old on the inside?
22. The Target in Destin is nice. The outlet malls are a rip off.
23. It was kind of weird to be at a vacation destination and not see any hotels
24. Worst part about SoWal; leaving

I would say my only regret is that we didn't get out and "do more", but I think that was also one of the great things about our trip.

Can't wait to go back.

bdub

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2008
There's more to the "Soda Water"

That brownish water is the outlet to Camp Creek Lake which is a rare Dune Lake for which SoWal is SoWell known. The interaction between these lakes and the gulf is interesting and worth learning more about. Last time I was there, there had been heavy rains and the lake waters cut a pretty good gash across the beach.

I slide my kayak in the lake up on 30a (around the very rude barriers that were recently erected) and paddle across the lake and as far up the creek as I can get. I then put the wheels back on the kayak and roll it over to the gulf -- the BEST of both worlds. (I am always careful to choose a path that does not damage the delicate plantings around the dunes.)

For me the water that runs "black as Coca-Cola" is one of the things that makes SoWal SoInteresting.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Enjoyed your frist report about WaterSound. You certainly enjoyed a lot SoWal has to offer. Take a look at the SoWal home page and scroll down and view the 13 minute video on Coastal Dune Lakes. With your developing level of appreciation of the area, you will enjoy. It will enhance your next stay. Welcome.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
:clap::clap::clap: No. 15 The Flags.....YOU got it! We see so many that do not observe the flags. Glad you had a good vacation in Sowal!

:welcome: and Come back soon!

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Glad you enjoyed our little piece of paradise - agree soooo much better than Destin, although Peter Bos thinks we on 30a are doomed to be overshadowed by Destin ( according to him people go on vacation so they can shop ?????).
Anyway, too late now but Camp Creek can be played for $100 if you are a guest at Watercolor or Watersound. Still a princely sum for me but quite a reduction.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Great trip report. Not to worry if you didn't get out and do much - I've been going to SoWal for 5 years now and I still hardly do anything when I'm there except the beach, porch, pool, and maybe a walk/bike ride over to Rosemary Beach and back and out to eat a few times when I'm there. There's still so much I haven't seen in SoWal yet (e.g., fishing trip, kayaking, Eden Gardens, and more) but I figure I have plenty of years to do that. It's hard to do anything when you're only here a week when the porch, pool, beach keep calling your name.

audie

fartblossom
May 15, 2005
:clap: interesting report - enjoy seeing other visitors' points of view

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
21. How is it the Publix near Watersound can look so nice on the outside, but seem 30 years old on the inside?

:lolabove:

Tourist traffic! You would not believe the business which flows through that store during the season! I give them five stars for keeping the place looking good!

When we started living here full time, I was always startled to go in to a restaurant which was one or two years old and find that the carpet was worn through, the bathrooms had cracked tile and doors broken and that the place was generally beat to death.

Then, I started noticing how so many restaurants got a total refurbish around February or so...new paint, new coat of finish on all the wood surfaces, etc. The season is HARD on a place! It's not like there's a steady stream of business, instead there's a 100-day stretch where there are four times the number of people you can comfortably handle. My hat is off to all of the local businesses, it's hard hard hard to maintain a nice facility here, between the climate and the traffic.

maxman

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2009
Destin/Sandestin/Miramar Beach
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back without trying to do so much, it will be easier the second time around. NO.18-- Alys Bch. they took it in stages on purpose and it has taken off. Although the economy downturn has had an effect on them as well, it was not meant to be finished all at once. No.23-- No Hotels, that's the point, and it's better that way. You can actually see the ocean. Consider coming back during summer or early fall when the water is warmer and you will see why it's called "The Emerald Coast". Thanks for your report it's always good to hear it from a new visitor.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
No 23 - While we don't have any "main stream" hotels we do have some wonderful places. There is the Highlands House in BMB, WaterColor Inn at WaterColor, Hibiscus House in Grayton, The motor court in Seaside, Pension (sp?) in Rosemary and 2 more coming soon in Seagrove and Rosemary Beach.

Personally I love the B&B and Boutique Hotels that we have over any branded concept.