• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Ya'll are really good people.

I have seen several snakes on that road when biking.
Am terrified to look at them. Usually I yell and run off the
road or into the person I'm with. I would have to honestly
come clean and say the only reason I wouldn't run over
one in a car is the mess it would make on my car.
:eek:

I think if I saw a snake while biking you'd hear either me screaming or the sirens! :blush:

There have been some close calls w/ string and other assorted debris that got the ol' heart rate up.

And I confess that the reason I don't run them over w/ my car is that I was told it didn't work!

Yes, God's creatures, blah, blah, blah .............. they still freak me out as they always manage to catch me by surprise!

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah i am a snake lover,whenever i see one i am like steve irwin i want to catch it and examine it's colors and markings and attitude. I hate when people kill them for no reason espicially the Non-Poisonous ones.when all they have to do is walk away or bicycle for 5 minutes and it will usally be gone. Just yesterday i heardsomeone scream outside my office when i went to investigate a couple of ladies had walked up on a banded water snake and the one started yelling its a water maccasin (commonly mistaken for) and to go get the hoe from the shop and kill it. luckily i intervened and showed them how to tell the difference and caught it and showed them the markings. not to sure they wouldn't try to kill it i took it and put it in one of my fish plots. It's very happy and safe now. At least until he goes looking for a mate!!

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I fished a black snake out of my pool in Sowal a couple of weeks ago. It seemed very appreciative, and I sat about 10 feet from it, drinking my coffee, and it hung out a while with me. Didn't seem intimidated, no hissing or anything defensive, just stuck it's tongue out a few times immediately after being rescued. I assumed it was exhausted. It was about 3 feet long, very black, no other markings that I could see. I am looking at pictures of the Indigo and the Racer and I can't tell them apart. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Are you sure they killed it?

I was told that running big snakes over w/ a car wouldn't kill them because they just tense up their muscles.
That makes complete sense. A snake can surely tense its muscles to make a 6000# vehicle bounce over it. I bet humans can also try it. :funn:

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Black snakes should be left alone for reasons already mentioned. Now a rattlesnake.....is another story. I ran one over, a huge one, on Bay Drive years ago in a little Mazda truck...and it disappeared. I mean it wasn't in the road and it didn't slither off, so that means it is under the truck. When I got home I opened the door...fas....t and leaped about 10 feet away from the truck. Never found the snake......eebie-jeebies!!!!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
I used to play with snakes as a little girl. My brother made a house for one (he took Shop Class that year) and every morning before school I would go check on it and feed it. It molted! I was horrified, cried and made my brother set it free. I won't go out of my way to run over one today, but I also won't endanger humans to avoid running over one.

And, yes the black ones take care of the bad ones around........

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Anyone ever been to the Rattlesnake Roundup in S. GA? Oooh, I shiver just remembering the noise of the rattlers.

My cousin was Rattlesnake Queen! Twice!

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
No but went to one in Austin Tx when i visited my brother,talk about crazy they would put 40 snakes in a glass booth about 8'x8' and crazy texans would get in there and see how maney they could get in a sack in 2 minutes and not get bit. I saw 4 guy's do it and no one got bit and the winner had about 25 if i remember right (long time ago)