• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Mike
Cool video and i am glad your okay,but yes i am going to say it (your Dumb) if you had your hand on that camcorder because if that snake hit that lens with that much force and your fingers were nearby the only 2 things keeping you from getting bit was heat from the camcorder or God. Because cotton mouth strike at prey using there sense of heat that's how they tell the difference in a mouse and a clump of grass they have very poor eyesight.cotton mouths venom is a Hemotoxin(kills blood cells and keeps blood from clotting),so if you had a weak immune system your in trouble,if your healthy you would probably be okay.Glad you are using a pole now but if you run across a 5 or 6ft Diamond back you better remember that they can spring up too twice there body length. so just becareful and keep the video's coming. ps sorry about the dumb name but i am scared someone else may try that and not be so fortunate

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Mike
Cool video and i am glad your okay,but yes i am going to say it (your Dumb) if you had your hand on that camcorder because if that snake hit that lens with that much force and your fingers were nearby the only 2 things keeping you from getting bit was heat from the camcorder or God. Because cotton mouth strike at prey using there sense of heat that's how they tell the difference in a mouse and a clump of grass they have very poor eyesight.cotton mouths venom is a Hemotoxin(kills blood cells and keeps blood from clotting),so if you had a weak immune system your in trouble,if your healthy you would probably be okay.Glad you are using a pole now but if you run across a 5 or 6ft Diamond back you better remember that they can spring up too twice there body length. so just becareful and keep the video's coming. ps sorry about the dumb name but i am scared someone else may try that and not be so fortunate

No problem. It's good of you to point that out, but as I stated I was using my camera on my walking stick, so there was absolutely NO WAY I could have been bitten on the hand or anywhere else for that matter.

I get a lot of people tell me how crazy I am etc. etc. but I have been around snakes for years and I don't push the envelope at all. I am 'way' out of range with these snakes when putting my camera on the stick. It actually has made for better ability to get closer while actually having myself further out of range.

Regrading the rattlesnake, its strike range is one third to half of its body's length. So an 8 foot snake can only strike up to four feet. It is commonly believed that their strike range is more because after a savage strike their body can project into that direction. But their strike range is a maximum of half their body length.

But I do very thoughtfull respect your message. I haven't really thought of putting disclaimers on my stuff or anything, but guess that's your overall point, not wanting anyone else to try this. I'd hate for someone to mistakenly believe that I was within an inch or two of the snakes fangs, foolishly waiting for it to inject its venom. Somehow it seems a few people are missing the point that I am well out of range. I care deeply about my health. I am more thoughtful than most pertaining to safety, partly because I know how many snakes actually exist out there.

When I walk, almost anywhere, I keep an eye out and when in grass of any length I am very slow with my steps. I doubt too many other people even think of this. But again, I respect your message even if you were 'colorful' in describing my overall intellectual capacity. Apparently you found my ACT scores online somewhere. Btw, I was tired when I took that test :D. It did get me well beyond all remedials though.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Hey Mike
sorry again about my Colorful name calling but you are right i was trying to warn other people about getting careless and or overconfident. you are a lot like me in that i respect the danger of these creatures but are so fascinated by them that i just have to check them out and get a picture or in your case video of them. My dad had a friend who we used to go golfing with a lot at Tyndall air force base who me and my dad used to get onto about messing with the snakes they would run across. (He had good intentions) he would always try to move the snakes back into the woods or water so no one else would try to kill them, well he picked up a water moccasin with his club and tried to sling it back into the marsh but it fell off so he tried again but when he bent down lower to try to pick it up with the club it turned and struck him in the face. luckily my dad and another buddy knew what to do and they were only a few minutes from the club house and Hospital, but the guy almost died from his face swelling so bad he couldn't breath and then from his brain swelling. But the tuff ole' military Officer hung in there and survived but had to have some plastic surgery. This was several yrs ago. As far as your ACT's go I am sure you did well. I now wish i had found away to go to college, but i am a country boy who grew up having to use his hands more than his brains. but thats what i enjoyed along with being in the outdoors. Hope you have many more great adventures and i may have to get a video camera too!!

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Hey Mike
sorry again about my Colorful name calling but you are right i was trying to warn other people about getting careless and or overconfident. you are a lot like me in that i respect the danger of these creatures but are so fascinated by them that i just have to check them out and get a picture or in your case video of them. My dad had a friend who we used to go golfing with a lot at Tyndall air force base who me and my dad used to get onto about messing with the snakes they would run across. (He had good intentions) he would always try to move the snakes back into the woods or water so no one else would try to kill them, well he picked up a water moccasin with his club and tried to sling it back into the marsh but it fell off so he tried again but when he bent down lower to try to pick it up with the club it turned and struck him in the face. luckily my dad and another buddy knew what to do and they were only a few minutes from the club house and Hospital, but the guy almost died from his face swelling so bad he couldn't breath and then from his brain swelling. But the tuff ole' military Officer hung in there and survived but had to have some plastic surgery. This was several yrs ago. As far as your ACT's go I am sure you did well. I now wish i had found away to go to college, but i am a country boy who grew up having to use his hands more than his brains. but thats what i enjoyed along with being in the outdoors. Hope you have many more great adventures and i may have to get a video camera too!!

That's a terrible story about getting bitten in the face. Especially since he meant well and wasn't trying to harm the snake. And getting hit in the face makes it that much more offensive.

As far as being a country boy having gotten by on your hands, hats off to ya. My college degree has meant little, actually. I graduated to watch most of my friends making well over 100 grand a year in the oil field while I struggled to make i/4 of that. I wished I'd... well, gone a different route in life. College, and what passes as education, from my perspective, is a scheme. But I won't get started with that.

But thanks for writing back. I figured you meant no harm. And thanks for the story. It puts things in perspective. Btw, I have a video I just put together that I'll be putting up late tonight or tomorrow. It has nothing to do with snakes but it is an interesting journey to witness none-the-less.

Hans

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Hey Mike,.....remember the warnings we gave you at the boardwalk in Cassines,......
Greetings from the land of the Mississauga Rattlesnakes, Hans and Elfi.