• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Actually Gambusia Holbrooki are Native to the south east and in some fresh and brackish waters are very common. you will find them in most fresh water ditches we use them in local ornamental ponds and foreclosed homes swimming pools in these tuff economic times these are becoming a big problem. Yes some of the big tadpoles eat mosquitoe larvae but the smaller ones are mostly herbivores.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Thanks, Susan Horn. That article brings to mind the thought that liquid dish soap breaks the surface tension on water, and if a drop was applied to standing water, the surface tension of the water, breaks, and any insect, such as a mosquito, attempting to land on the water to lay eggs, will fall into the water, thereby not laying eggs. How simple is that? On the surface, it sure sounds more environmentally friendly than spraying poisons into the ditches.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Indeed! Oil and soap are two main ingredients in lots of natural gardening sprays for various problems -- aphids, scale, etc. I don't know if this brew would work as a spray in yards, etc., but might be worth a try. The downside -- it would kill lots of other critters too, like ladybugs and green lacewings and possibly praying mantises, all regarded as beneficials.

I think the idea here was something to put on one's own skin.

Is there an all natural mosquito repellent I can put on myself that works?Yes. Excellent results can be obtained (up to 5 or 6 hours of protection) by using some common household items in a simple mixture you can make yourself! Simply mix 1 teaspoon of soybean oil (available from your grocery store) and one quarter of a teaspoon of Palmolive liquid soap into one cup of water. Mix well and spray onto your arms and legs and wipe on your face and neck.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Hey Joe
wish it was that simple. what about all the other surface feeding/dwelling insects. such as Giant waterbugs,whirligigs and water striders who mosquito larvae is part of their diet,they are part of the ecosystem too. maybe i can get my boss to let me do a study on this. I am all for natural ways over any man made products unless its a Health or severe economic threat.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
You are very, very prone to exaggeration. Although these news pieces are a bit dated, they show just how RARE it is for malaria to be contracted in the US.

From 1957 through 1994, 76 cases of locally acquired malaria were reported in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said.

The CDC Annual Summary of Malaria for 1996
(January 3, 1997) reports a total of 1,542 malaria cases
in the U.S. (Figure 2). This compares to 1,419 cases
reported in the U.S. in 1995. In 80 cases of malaria
reported in Florida, all but two were acquired outside
the US.

Of the more than 50 cases reported in 2007, 42%
reported travel to Africa and were predominantly infected
with P. falciparum. The remaining cases reported travel to
areas of Latin America or Asia and were primarily infected
with P. vivax.19

Also, mosquitoes do not spread hepatitis.

This data may be good, but my family came to South Walton about 1912, long before this data was recorded. My grandparents, dad and his sister contracted Malaria while living on JD Miller Road, long before 1957. Why this is an issue, I don't know.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Well I wonder if bats could manage amongst the trees? I don't know much about bats.

Maybe a little fish pond would be your best bet, with those skeeter-eaters in it, or a baby pool if making a pond is too much work!

There are lots of bats here, and yes they manage quite well amongst the trees. And yes, having minnows in every standing body of water is the solution, however, Mosquitoes can breed in Magnolia leaves, and any other thing that holds water.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My great grandmother homesteaded in a soddy in S. Dakota - about as pertinent to this discussion as people getting malaria over 50 years ago! :roll:

P.S. I think Floridagirl's family carries malaria, not mosquitos!

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Please remind me of those people's names who contracted West Nile in South Walton, and died. I must have missed that news story.

florida girl, I find it rather interesting that you consider "mosquitos to be a threat ... to animals," when you suggest that the solution to mosquitos is spraying poison over everything. Seems counter productive, if you really care about animals. If you are really concerned about contracting Malaria, West Nile, etc, why don't you just wear that Skin So Soft or Backwoods Off with lots of Deet? :dunno: You can also wear long sleeves, light colored clothing and a mosquito net headgear, but stop spraying poison on me and all of the other animals to "protect" yourself.

Considering the Confidentiality laws, I'm not sure that telling the name of this person is a good idea. The individual told me themself of their situation, before they died.
Mosquitoes carry heartworms. And yes, I do wear a version of Skin So Soft, however, if I'm outside for any length of time, it comes off. If I wear Off, I enevitably get it in my mouth! Kind of amazing to me, that the ones who are most affected by the no spray policy, don't actually have any say about it. Those are the ones who have to work outside, and don't actually live here. Cruel and unusual treatment? Part of the job description?

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Considering the Confidentiality laws, I'm not sure that telling the name of this person is a good idea. The individual told me themself of their situation, before they died.
Mosquitoes carry heartworms. And yes, I do wear a version of Skin So Soft, however, if I'm outside for any length of time, it comes off. If I wear Off, I enevitably get it in my mouth! Kind of amazing to me, that the ones who are most affected by the no spray policy, don't actually have any say about it. Those are the ones who have to work outside, and don't actually live here. Cruel and unusual treatment? Part of the job description?

I only know of one case here in South Walton, and West Nile was not his cause of death. Do you know of others?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Hey Joe
wish it was that simple. what about all the other surface feeding/dwelling insects. such as Giant waterbugs,whirligigs and water striders who mosquito larvae is part of their diet,they are part of the ecosystem too. maybe i can get my boss to let me do a study on this. I am all for natural ways over any man made products unless its a Health or severe economic threat.
That is why I stated ,"On the surface, it sure sounds more environmentally friendly than spraying poisons into the ditches." It is more environmentally friendly because it isn't dumping toxins into the soil, but it does drown many other critters other than mosquito larvae, which try to land on the water to take a drink. Also, "detergent," such as Palmolive, is not chemically the same as "soap," and there may side effects and unintended consequences. I'd rather see you guys spray yourselves with DEET everyday.