• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Hubby and I arrive in 2 weeks (yeah!!!!!). Last year we planned to buy bikes and donate them to charity when we were ready to head home to Texas. We found no bikes to buy at Walmart in Panama City so we rented instead.

We would like to try and buy and donate this year. I wanted to ask the local experts if there's a good group to donate a couple of gently (2 week) used adult bikes to upon departure. We figure buying a couple of bikes or renting costs about the same so we might as well help somebody out. I know renting helps a local business but I thought it would be nice to help in a different way.

What do ya'll think?

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
Hubby and I arrive in 2 weeks (yeah!!!!!). Last year we planned to buy bikes and donate them to charity when we were ready to head home to Texas. We found no bikes to buy at Walmart in Panama City so we rented instead.

We would like to try and buy and donate this year. I wanted to ask the local experts if there's a good group to donate a couple of gently (2 week) used adult bikes to upon departure. We figure buying a couple of bikes or renting costs about the same so we might as well help somebody out. I know renting helps a local business but I thought it would be nice to help in a different way.

What do ya'll think?

Right now I don't have an idea who to donate it to, but think it's an absolutely great idea you've come out with. If no one gives you another idea, maybe a local goodwill or thrift store, even though they'd sell it and make a profit. I know that's not what you're after, but it's close.

I actually almost bought two bikes, one for each of my two little ones for when they visit. I need to check if they're still available. Anyway, good luck and thanks for what you're doing.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It's a great idea.

I'm not sure about South Walton, but I know that Bay County has a guy who rehabs bikes and gives them to needy kids at Christmas. He's up in Lynn Haven and if that's not on your way I'll be more than happy to deliver them for you.

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
This isn't exactly what you asked, but I know of some people who come down and buy bikes cheap, like 50-75 bucks each somewhere on 30-A. When they get ready to go home, they person buys them back for like half the cost.
There's a big Goodwill donation site on the west end of PCB and a thrift shop on 98 in Santa Rosa Beach. I'm sure some local schools would also know of needy kids.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
I think Big Daddy's Bike Rentals donates some bikes to the St. Andrews church bike ministry, who then rehabs the bikes and gives them to those in need. Hope that helps!

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
You might want to check at Big Daddy's bike shop in Blue Mtn Beach. I was there a few weeks ago and remember seeing a brochure on their door advertising them as a bike drop off site for a charity.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
You might want to check at Big Daddy's bike shop in Blue Mtn Beach. I was there a few weeks ago and remember seeing a brochure on their door advertising them as a bike drop off site for a charity.

Now that is scary Bimmer......;-) Like minds????

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
There is a guy on Mack Bayou road that sells used bikes very cheap. Just go north on Mack Bayou and you'll see the bikes out in front of his house, kind of across and down the street from the fire station. He gets them from various places, fixes them and sells them. Sometimes he has good bikes, sometimes he has just ok bikes. We take our outgrown bikes to him to recycle, but it sounds like Big Daddys has a great program that we'll use next time.