• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
The Seaside Chapel is NOT closed. I received an email this week which I post below:

"We have made a change in our management of the Chapel and have begun a summer series of visiting pastors....we will make those announcement as those are arranged and post them on our web site, Seaside Chapel, Seaside Florida, and the Chapel bulletin board as well.

There have been unfounded rumors from unknown sources that the Chapel has closed and when and if it opens that it will only serve Seaside homeowners, that is not the truth.

We are excited about the services we will be able to offer and the Seaside homeowners, their guests and ALL who choose to worship with us are welcome to have a "Meaningful Encounter with our Heavenly Father, sing a few songs and go to the beach"

Anything other than that is a fabrication of the truth and the source should be considered.

Sincerely:

Charlie Renfroe
Chairman of the Seaside Chapel Board of Trustees"

Most of us want Seaside to be open and inclusive. We like it because it is NOT gated. People, not buildings, make a community great. Guests and visitors are always welcome. Unfortunately, there is a very small minority that seem to get upset about everything and cause the negative perceptions. And to hear the negative perceptions is very sad. To share is more rewarding than to be selfish.

Well, this is confusing. If the chapel is truly open to all...then, why were the other people and minister asked/told to leave?:dunno:

We understood that because the building belongs to Seaside, it is only to be used by Seaside owners and their guests.

If this is not true, then what is the criteria for being able to attend church in the Seaside Chapel? Obviously, some people are not welcome, otherwise, the group that was meeting there would have stayed.

Can someone clarify please?

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
There is definitely a difference between an organized church versus a nondenominational chapel such as you would see on a college campus. Most all colleges have a chapel which is used for various purposes such as weddings, memorial services etc. Very few if any house an organized church with a dedicated congregation, minister, mission statement etc.

I have no idea why Seaside decided to change from allowing the current congregation to house at the chapel but I do understand the differences.

Obviously based on the Seaside chapel website religious services will still continue to be held there, open to all but without an organized full time congregation.

And if anyone thinks that congregations are not asked to leave a building, it happens all the time, unless the congregation owns the building.

If Seaside did ask the current congregation to leave on such short notice then that is definitely bad form on someone's part, but asking them to locate elsewhere is not that unheard of in the way of congregations who do not own the facility. I also agree that it would have been good PR to make a public statement as to the reason for the change instead of just asking the congregation to leave.

I agree with the others about not blaming everyone associated with Seaside for the actions of a few. There are some very good people who live; work, and live in Seaside. My daughter interned there for 5 months and I was very impressed with most everyone we encountered. It would be very wrong to boycott the business there, based on a few opinions on a Net forum.

If this matter truly is upsetting to anyone I would suggest you contact Seaside and voice your complaint there, instead of hurting those that had no hand in the decision.

Last edited:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Why do I not find this surprising. Amy@Avalon were you surprised to hear about this in Seaside? If you can't go with Seasides flow you might as well flow on out of there. When change has needed to be made there has never been much time given before it's done!

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just not surprised after 20 years of change.
Good luck to all involved.

Good points Minnie. It helps to get a fresh perspective!!!!

A documentary sounds wonderful.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Sorry, but I don't consider "we made a change in management" a particularly valid explanation when you are talking about a minister and his/her congregation.

I did reread Mr. Renfroe's letter. It does not explain the questions about why the congregation, that was worshiping at Seaside Chapel, left. I would like to see the official minutes of the board to see what prompted Jeff Miller and the congregation to leave. Does Mr. Renfroe live in Seaside? I'm just curious as to why something this major happened. Thanks.

Well, here's the thing. Mr. Renfroe is responding to the posts made on Sowal.com, addressing ?unfounded rumors.? If anyone wants to know details, I am sure they are welcome to address their questions and concerns to the Board of Directors at Seaside Chapel. The minutes would be available to Seaside owners and active church members. They are probably posted somewhere in the church in full view.

Churches rotate pastors regularly, usually every 6 ? 7 years. A change in management is usually a good thing and not forced by only 2 or 3 people.

[FONT=&quot]I find Mr. Renfroe?s letter clear and forthcoming. However, it doesn?t mean everyone has to be happy about the change as most resist change within their church. I imagine the board of directors (church members) are fairly balancing this process. [/FONT]

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
It's a shame you couldn't experience a magic night a couple of weeks ago on the real bricks underneath the real oaks, with real people, real music, a real moon, and a real sweetness in the air.

090420-seaside-001.jpg

Love this picture Kurt...you captured the night!!! What beautiful lighting! :clap:

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Well, here's the thing. Mr. Renfroe is responding to the posts made on Sowal.com, addressing ?unfounded rumors.? If anyone wants to know details, I am sure they are welcome to address their questions and concerns to the Board of Directors at Seaside Chapel. The minutes would be available to Seaside owners and active church members. They are probably posted somewhere in the church in full view.

Churches rotate pastors regularly, usually every 6 ? 7 years. A change in management is usually a good thing and not forced by only 2 or 3 people.

[FONT=&quot]I find Mr. Renfroe?s letter clear and forthcoming. However, it doesn?t mean everyone has to be happy about the change as most resist change within their church. I imagine the board of directors (church members) are fairly balancing this process. [/FONT]

JR, they did not change pastors, they also asked the congregants to move on.

PalmBeach

Beach Lover
Feb 21, 2007
They may have taken the building from us, but they can,t take our Spirit and our mission to spread the Word that Jesus is our Lord and Savior.
Please join us at Cross Point Church this Sunday at 11:00 A:M as we as a church body will continue our ministry through Jeff's message our worship music and the love of Christ.
Approximately 100 people attended the service at the new location and it was great. Jeff Miller is still a great preacher and David Seering provides amazing music. And the congregation are wonderful people.

Although everyone was dissappointed at having to leave the chapel at Seaside, now that the initial shock has worn off everyone is excited to start something new. I personally agree that the congregation had outgrown the facility but feel that the process was not handled well by the interfaith board (the short notice).

All are truely welcome here!

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
since the seaside chapel was originally built for the purpose of nondenominational services for seaside residents and visitors, the board should have put that in writing somewhere, which would have prevented this whole mess from happening. the board violated the original purpose by permitting a specific denomination to worship there and seemed to have no problem taking their money to pay off the building's mortgage. i certainly understand limiting the number of worshipers, particularly from a fire regulation point of view as well as parking issues. this was just handled badly all the way around.

Beanstalk

Beach Lover
Apr 12, 2009
What a great idea for a documentary. The natural tensions between the New Town and the Old Ways are just facinating. And Seaside certainly has had its share of characters. Fact is more interesting than fiction anytime! Maybe it could be a senior project for an FSU film student.

If there are serious possibilities of someone wanting to back the shooting of a documentary in Seaside, Please know I have all the equipment Video/Audio/lighting, Editing and crew to do so. Just need a writer, some local talent (Plenty there) and someone with a good knowledge of the Community and surrounding area. Oh and the easy part, Investors to cover the cost. Please feel free to contact me, as I am serious. I think the idea will work! :wave:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Approximately 100 people attended the service at the new location and it was great. Jeff Miller is still a great preacher and David Seering provides amazing music. And the congregation are wonderful people.

Although everyone was dissappointed at having to leave the chapel at Seaside, now that the initial shock has worn off everyone is excited to start something new. I personally agree that the congregation had outgrown the facility but feel that the process was not handled well by the interfaith board (the short notice).

All are truely welcome here!

That is great news and I wish you much success at your new location.

A strong church is not defined by the structure that houses it but the strength of the people within. Sounds like you have the strength needed to be successful.

When one door closes a new one opens and sometimes that truly can be a blessing.