• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

4dogs

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Hungry

Hopefully you will read this before you release the Lady Bugs.
They will be extremely hungry, make sure you wear gloves because they will start eating on you.
Release them where you have a high bug infestation to insure they don't leave in search of food.

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Right, also I think you can just release some of them, then close up the mesh bag and put them in the fridge or other cool dark spot for a few days. Their packaging should have some food in it to keep them going...

Susan Horn

Beach Fanatic
Speaking of natural pest controls... anyone know a good nontoxic way to control those fuzzy white hopping bugs that leave white fuzz behind on stems and undersides of leaves? The bugs are impossible to catch, they jump so far so fast, and the fuzz seems to keep my old faithful soap spray from doing much to slow them down.

They seem to suck the sap our of stems and leaves, while looking so innocent, and the nect thing you know a plant is decimated. What bugs eat these bugs? Think oil spray would slow them down? What good critters that are active now might be adversely affected with oil spray?

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
Speaking of natural pest controls... anyone know a good nontoxic way to control those fuzzy white hopping bugs that leave white fuzz behind on stems and undersides of leaves? The bugs are impossible to catch, they jump so far so fast, and the fuzz seems to keep my old faithful soap spray from doing much to slow them down.

They seem to suck the sap our of stems and leaves, while looking so innocent, and the nect thing you know a plant is decimated. What bugs eat these bugs? Think oil spray would slow them down? What good critters that are active now might be adversely affected with oil spray?
Dormant oil will likely work. Just be sure to read the label as some are designed for winter use only. Also a soap and water mixture can be effective against most soft bodied bugs. Somtimes a vigorous water spray will do the trick. Although I have never done this myself, some people use diluted pepper juice for bug spray. There is a book called "Organic Gardening" published by Rodale Press. This is the Bible for the organic gardener. It covers everything from start to finish and is easy to read and use. I have learned more practical and useful information in that book than anywhere. Good luck!

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Susan,

I call those woolly leaf hoppers but am not sure exactly what they are. As mentioned the oil is probably your best bet for killing adult as well as crawler stages. I'd not use dormant oil though as likely things are all leafed out. Try light weight / summer weight oil such as 'Ultra Fine'. It is paraffin based though but not too toxic.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Hopefully you will read this before you release the Lady Bugs.
They will be extremely hungry, make sure you wear gloves because they will start eating on you.
Release them where you have a high bug infestation to insure they don't leave in search of food.

Thanks for the heads up -- we do appreciate it.
In addition to the evening release, we have also been told to water things prior to. It seems like we've got plenty of aphids for them to feast on. Once they are done cleaning up here ... hopefully they will hatch a few babies for us ... then move on to other households in need :D

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Right, also I think you can just release some of them, then close up the mesh bag and put them in the fridge or other cool dark spot for a few days. Their packaging should have some food in it to keep them going...

We did get 2 containers of them. So, we will release some of them this evening and more over the coming days.