• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
This is a map showing the approximate location of zip codes in Walton County
http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentView.asp?DID=683
It is an approximation because zip codes are based on delivery routes which are based on street location and proximaty to a post office that delevers mail not a post office that just has drop boxes. These boundaries are set by the post office and can change.

I am so glad we are beginning to get the message out. The zip code for the city of Destin in Okaloosa County is different than the area in Walton County, which is NOT Destin. It is not known as Destin. Many people know better. This really wasn't a point of confusion until the last several years. Hopefully, it will be cleared up soon so that we don't need to keep correcting. Miramar Beach and the Sandestin area in Walton County has its own zip code. No need to ever use the Destin name again for anything in Walton County. This recent blurp can just die a natural death. Sorry about Brunos Grocery in Sandestin, Miramar Beach area closing. My grandmother used to date one of the Delchamp boys. BTW Thanks for your useful post on zip code map. Very clear that Miramar Beach and Sandestin have different zip code than Destin, Okaloosa County, which has completely different zip code. We really must do something about the Ponce de Leon and Panama City Beach Zip Code names for other parts of our county. Will wait for another time and another thread.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
I am so glad we are beginning to get the message out. The zip code for the city of Destin in Okaloosa County is different than the area in Walton County, which is NOT Destin. It is not known as Destin. Many people know better. This really wasn't a point of confusion until the last several years. Hopefully, it will be cleared up soon so that we don't need to keep correcting. Miramar Beach and the Sandestin area in Walton County has its own zip code. No need to ever use the Destin name again for anything in Walton County. This recent blurp can just die a natural death. Sorry about Brunos Grocery in Sandestin, Miramar Beach area closing. My grandmother used to date one of the Delchamp boys. BTW Thanks for your useful post on zip code map. Very clear that Miramar Beach and Sandestin have different zip code than Destin, Okaloosa County, which has completely different zip code. We really must do something about the Ponce de Leon and Panama City Beach Zip Code names for other parts of our county. Will wait for another time and another thread.

We need to work to get these silly map companies to put zip codes on them. I am tired of the strange looks I get when I go into a store asking if someone can tell me how to get to 32578. I use to look for cities, but after reading this thread, I have come to realize, it is the zip code I should be using as a destination. Or make that 32541ation. Maybe we can get Embarq on board for this. City names are out, we only need to use zip codes from now on to know where we are.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
I guess you are joking, WRobert? :blink: The point is about correct place names. It is great that Miramar Beach can be identified by its place name in Walton County. Having a different zip code than a city in the next county over helps it retain its identity. It certainly will be helpful if someone wants directions! Directions to Sandestin in Miramar Beach are quite different than directions to Destin in Okaloosa County. Travel time and money can be saved. Last post on this here. Really need to start a Census location thread. Guess we've got it clear that Bruno's Grocery that is closing is in Miramar Beach, Walton County, it is not in Destin, and should not be confused with the Bruno's Pizza in Seagrove Beach.

TechPyle

Beach Lover
May 10, 2009
Way over the rainbow
Zip Codes

That's the problem. Zip Code areas are made by the post office to show which post office delivers mail to what area. Trying to use postal designations to describe areas of the county does not work. Locals know where inlet beach is not where Panama City Beach zip code area is in Walton County. As for changing zip codes so that they better reflect the county be careful what you wish for. The people living in these areas would have to change all of thier mailing information including Drivers License, Magazine Subscriptions and all of the letterhead for businesses. These people would be rightly upset at all of the time and money it would cost to change these addresses. These problems will continue until South Walton actualy incorporates into a city or cities that way you could give an accurate boandary for a geographic area as is you just have a vague idea of where blue mountain beach or grayton is.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
No one ever did explain why Bruno's Pizza is closing?

DavidD

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2008
Seagrove
www.davidDdesign.com
Bruno's Pizza is not closing. Bruno's grocery store near Sandestin is.

I never knew that there were so many people that had such strong feelings about zip codes. Is it tribal? Do we need to defend our own turf, mark our territory? Although, I suppose in the land of technology where every Snoopy lunchbox contains a GPS, and iPhones are surgically grafted to our hands we need to know exactly where things are in the world.

Alas, farewell poor Bruno.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Bruno's Pizza is not closing. Bruno's grocery store near Sandestin is.

I never knew that there were so many people that had such strong feelings about zip codes. Is it tribal? Do we need to defend our own turf, mark our territory? Although, I suppose in the land of technology where every Snoopy lunchbox contains a GPS, and iPhones are surgically grafted to our hands we need to know exactly where things are in the world.

Alas, farewell poor Bruno.

Bruno's Pizza is closing! Oh-No!