• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
I think it would be grayt if the actor from The Trumman Show showed what is really like to live there everyday. Instead of the disney like version more of a reality Truman

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
WaltonSun.com link

Seaside Chapel ministry asked to move out of Seaside | seaside, asked, chapel - Community - WaltonSun.com

Seaside Chapel ministry asked to move out of Seaside
Debbie Wheeler
May 11, 2009 - 11:11AM

When Rev. Jeff Miller began preparing the sermon for his May 3 message he didn't know it would be his last at Seaside Chapel.

Charles Renfroe, a Seaside homeowner, chairman of the board of trustees of Seaside Chapel and owner of the building, called Miller Friday morning to deliver the news that Sunday would be last for Miller and his congregation at Seaside.

Vickie Miller, wife of the pastor, said the trustees felt the congregation had outgrown the building and they should move on and find another building to accommodate them.

Miller said at issue was parking for those coming to services, and the chapel's original intent for Seaside homeowners and guests.

However, Miller said she believes the decision ultimately came down to money.

"They can charge a lot of money for use of the chapel for weddings, which is sad," said Miller. "The concept of us needing to move was not a surprise, but timing was."

Miller took over as volunteer pastor of Seaside Chapel in 2004. He is also a Seaside homeowner, full-time resident, and business owner there. When he took over the ministry, an unpaid position, around $1 million was owed on the building and it was close to foreclosure. Thanks to donations of the congregation, which grew from around 30 to an overflow crowd, all but $18,000 has been paid off. Six hundred people reportedly attended services there on Easter Sunday.

"All money taken in went to the chapel," said Vickie Miller.

"While the concerns were discussed last year, it wasn't our decision," she said. "He didn't get a thank you, which is sad, but that's OK. God is providing for us. It's time to soar."

"It's just a building," said music leader David Seering. "A church consists of the congregation. We will go on. When God closes a door he opens another big one. We've been asked to go some place else and we will."

"This is a very tender time," said Wayne Carlisle, vice chairman of Chapel Ministries. "We didn't choose this route."

"I know this is beginning a new chapter for a growing, giving, thriving Christian congregation," said Catherine Dickson, who is on the board of Seaside Chapel Ministries. "To me personally, this was God's doing. He acted through other people.

"Our congregation includes a number of Seaside homeowners. We've grown from under 30 regulars in early 2000, struggling right to the point of foreclosure on the beautiful building within a couple of years after its dedication, to maybe 300 regulars (no oaths required), not counting several hundred more people who regularly attend when at the beach and contribute to the causes our congregation supports.

"We funded the Habitat Katrina cottages in New Orleans with people going a number of times as teams to do physical labor in Mississippi; helping fund the CHVN for indigent children, and the Lighthouse Childrens' Project. All this is in addition to helping individuals and families on an as-needed basis.

"Generous people gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay off the physical Seaside Interfaith Chapel building. Our pastor, Jeff Miller, is as courageous as he is passionately dedicated to serving God."

"Jeff was crushed," said Linda Miller, a member of the congregation who was present on Sunday. "It was a very emotional service. We were all crying. They won't let us take Bibles or folding chairs, all which donations bought. All we get to take are the communion trays."

While Charles Renfroe calls the situation a personal one for the community of Seaside, he did site miscommunications and personal issues with Seaside folks necessitating a change being made. Renfroe said problems arose in management and operation of the facility. He admits there were unresolved fiscal issues, but denies only wanting the building to be used by Seaside homeowners.

"All are welcome," he said. "We have been talking about it for a couple of years and the trustees made a decision to go in another direction.

"We are going to have a visiting pastor series beginning this Sunday, where the pastor of homeowners can come, stay, and preach for their food. Two ministries have been spawned from Seaside Chapel and everybody's happy. We're rocking and rolling."

The new Chapel Ministries, led by Rev. Jeff Miller, will meet at Crosspoint Church on County Road 393N Sunday at 11 a.m.

steyou

Beach Fanatic
Feb 20, 2007
Walton County
Christ will bless a church that allows the Holy Spirit to lead. When a church is lead man man, it will surely fall. It appears that this church's pastor has been allowing the Holy Spirit to lead him. From the post of the forlks who attend this church it appears to be filled with LOVE. Three things last forever: Faith Hope and Love, and the greatest is Love. Thank God for the work that Jeff is doing. I hope to attend a worship service there soon.

Beanstalk

Beach Lover
Apr 12, 2009
God will have the FINAL word!

It appears that once again GOD has proven to be BIGGER than Man! Congradulations to the Church and the Pastor!:clap:
My Prayers are with you all at the new location. I will be attending services this Sunday with my family. When I first read this thread I almost wanted to avoid the community at all cost. I have seen way too much posted about the "PRIVITE" community that seems to forget that its people like my family and I that keep it alive. We spend 2 weeks a year in SOWAL, (Wish it was forever):love: and drop plenty of cash into the community of which this happened. Let me say, after careful consideration, We will continue to enjoy the friendly businesses in this community since it would be insane for them to even be a part of what seems to be an internal fight for power in that community. We will support the employees and businesses during or vacation. ***The reason I have left out the name of this community is simple, The thread already has the potential to harm the innocent ones that work hard to keep this place of wonderment alive, No need to continue to have the internet spiders key in on the name only to have a GOOGLE search bring this as a negative over all. The people in the community need a wakeup call in my opinion, you can loose everything you have worked so hard for in this community if your not careful, never tread on GOD. Just my opinion. See you all this weekend!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Correction

Mr. Renfroe is not the owner of the building as stated in Debbie Wheelers article.

WaltonSun.com link

Seaside Chapel ministry asked to move out of Seaside | seaside, asked, chapel - Community - WaltonSun.com

Seaside Chapel ministry asked to move out of Seaside
Debbie Wheeler
May 11, 2009 - 11:11AM

When Rev. Jeff Miller began preparing the sermon for his May 3 message he didn't know it would be his last at Seaside Chapel.

Charles Renfroe, a Seaside homeowner, chairman of the board of trustees of Seaside Chapel and owner of the building, called Miller Friday morning to deliver the news that Sunday would be last for Miller and his congregation at Seaside.

Vickie Miller, wife of the pastor, said the trustees felt the congregation had outgrown the building and they should move on and find another building to accommodate them.

Miller said at issue was parking for those coming to services, and the chapel's original intent for Seaside homeowners and guests.

However, Miller said she believes the decision ultimately came down to money.

"They can charge a lot of money for use of the chapel for weddings, which is sad," said Miller. "The concept of us needing to move was not a surprise, but timing was."

Miller took over as volunteer pastor of Seaside Chapel in 2004. He is also a Seaside homeowner, full-time resident, and business owner there. When he took over the ministry, an unpaid position, around $1 million was owed on the building and it was close to foreclosure. Thanks to donations of the congregation, which grew from around 30 to an overflow crowd, all but $18,000 has been paid off. Six hundred people reportedly attended services there on Easter Sunday.

"All money taken in went to the chapel," said Vickie Miller.

"While the concerns were discussed last year, it wasn't our decision," she said. "He didn't get a thank you, which is sad, but that's OK. God is providing for us. It's time to soar."

"It's just a building," said music leader David Seering. "A church consists of the congregation. We will go on. When God closes a door he opens another big one. We've been asked to go some place else and we will."

"This is a very tender time," said Wayne Carlisle, vice chairman of Chapel Ministries. "We didn't choose this route."

"I know this is beginning a new chapter for a growing, giving, thriving Christian congregation," said Catherine Dickson, who is on the board of Seaside Chapel Ministries. "To me personally, this was God's doing. He acted through other people.

"Our congregation includes a number of Seaside homeowners. We've grown from under 30 regulars in early 2000, struggling right to the point of foreclosure on the beautiful building within a couple of years after its dedication, to maybe 300 regulars (no oaths required), not counting several hundred more people who regularly attend when at the beach and contribute to the causes our congregation supports.

"We funded the Habitat Katrina cottages in New Orleans with people going a number of times as teams to do physical labor in Mississippi; helping fund the CHVN for indigent children, and the Lighthouse Childrens' Project. All this is in addition to helping individuals and families on an as-needed basis.

"Generous people gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay off the physical Seaside Interfaith Chapel building. Our pastor, Jeff Miller, is as courageous as he is passionately dedicated to serving God."

"Jeff was crushed," said Linda Miller, a member of the congregation who was present on Sunday. "It was a very emotional service. We were all crying. They won't let us take Bibles or folding chairs, all which donations bought. All we get to take are the communion trays."

While Charles Renfroe calls the situation a personal one for the community of Seaside, he did site miscommunications and personal issues with Seaside folks necessitating a change being made. Renfroe said problems arose in management and operation of the facility. He admits there were unresolved fiscal issues, but denies only wanting the building to be used by Seaside homeowners.

"All are welcome," he said. "We have been talking about it for a couple of years and the trustees made a decision to go in another direction.

"We are going to have a visiting pastor series beginning this Sunday, where the pastor of homeowners can come, stay, and preach for their food. Two ministries have been spawned from Seaside Chapel and everybody's happy. We're rocking and rolling."

The new Chapel Ministries, led by Rev. Jeff Miller, will meet at Crosspoint Church on County Road 393N Sunday at 11 a.m.

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
Who does own the building/ land that is the Seaside Chapel? I didn't think it was an individual! Did the present owner build it? Hard to believe it was in such dire financial straights at one time.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Walton County Record Search

Just a touch over 1.2 million. You'll note that it is listed as an exempt value.

Who does own the building/ land that is the Seaside Chapel? I didn't think it was an individual! Did the present owner build it? Hard to believe it was in such dire financial straights at one time.

The above is a link to the Walton County Property Appraisers website. It lists the owner there, it is not an individual and is more than likely a non-profit.

It is owned by the Seaside Interfaith Chapel Inc.

Here's the info for that organization:

www.sunbiz.org - Department of State

MinnDodd

Beach Comber
May 16, 2006
So what happens when the new 'congregation' at the chapel gets too big ?

I am finding Mr. Renfroe's response a bit too disingenuous.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
They aren't looking for a congregation, maybe some stand in parrishioners though. As much as we all love our life here we sometimes lose sight that we are living in a fanciful place. NOTHING, IMO, in Seaside was built without the idea of it turning a profit. The cute cottages and yes the chapel. The chapel can be used by visitors and homeowners yes but its' purpose is for booked weddings and the like. I love it here but we are in a grown up Disney World...