• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Anyone know anything about a Topsail fire somewhere near Donut Hole? Getting bits & pieces from OGM, and another person, but wanted more detail - if any. Thanks!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Obviously, from mof2k's post, I'm wondering, too. I see the smoke & luckily a good friend called and told me what was happening. I have done searches online, to no avail.

All the SWFD told me when I just called was that "We have crews on scene."

Last edited:

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com
Wildfire at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park

Photo courtesy Kelly Roe.

A large brush fire is raging at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. As of 3:55 p.m. South Walton Fire District, the State Park and the Division of Forestry are working on containing the fire. The fire is approximately 100 acres, and according to SWFD Deputy Chief, Sean Hughes, should be contained soon.
At approximately 1:45pm today the SWFD received a call of a tree on fire in the vicinity of the Hwy. 98 and CR 30A intersection. It is believed that the dead tree fell across some power lines and ignited. Fire District crews arrived to find approximately 1 acre on fire, spreading quickly due to strong winds.
The Division of Forestry (DOF) was requested to respond and is currently on scene with four tractors battling the fire. At this time the fire is contained within the boundaries of the park and no structures are threatened.

Last edited:

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
When I went to pick up the kids from school (2pm), the fire was raging with lots of flames. Lots of fire trucks were on scene and lots of smoke. When I came back from doing kid pickup (3pm), the weren't any flames, just lots of smoke. It's not near any houses or other buildings. Seems like the SWFD had it under control. There were traffic backups on 98 heading east. The fire was on the south side of 98 just off the road.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
When I went to pick up the kids from school (2pm), the fire was raging with lots of flames. Lots of fire trucks were on scene and lots of smoke. When I came back from doing kid pickup (3pm), the weren't any flames, just lots of smoke. It's not near any houses or other buildings. Seems like the SWFD had it under control. There were traffic backups on 98 heading east. The fire was on the south side of 98 just off the road.

YUP. I was one of those cars stuck in traffic. A lot of rubber-necking as you went past the firefighters !!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Wow - even with all of the rain we've had? So sorry for this news!

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Mr. Clean just rode by it on the way to work. Of course, he was not very interested in the fire when I was telling him about it earlier, but now he's in awe at how far along the road it goes. He said there are still flames right now. It's just before 6pm.

There are a few trees over on that side that we've been commenting on how they need to be cut down before something bad happens.:blink:

Last edited: