• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Looking for real estate in the Destin or 30A area and want to be able to search easily?

Foreclosures and short sales have become a very large part of our local real estate market. Here are links to easily search them by area and price.

30A Foreclosures (Condos)

Looking for a property in Sandestin? Quickly search available properties in Sandestin by following these links.​

Looking for a condo in the Destin or 30A area? Easily search by area or price.​

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Josh, are you saying that all of these are in foreclosure? If so, I think there is a problem with the list.

:dunno:

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
No, the links have the categories listed on them. I also wrote a sentence at the top of each section separating them. Only the first section are foreclosures and short sales unless otherwise specified on the link. For example, I also have some links to Sandestin foreclosures under the Sandestin section.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
No, the links have the categories listed on them. I also wrote a sentence at the top of each section separating them. Only the first section are foreclosures and short sales unless otherwise specified on the link. For example, I also have some links to Sandestin foreclosures under the Sandestin section.

Okay. thanks. I will take a closer look.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
What is the success rate with the short sales? Do you know which lenders are cooperative, length of time and general percentage they are accepting?

Great info. Thanks!

JoshMclean

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
From my personal experience and after talking to a few title companies it is very low. The title companies will give you a great idea because agents have to present draft HUD's with the offer to the bank. One particular company told me about 10% were closing.

Many of the short sales that don't close are due to buyers walking before a decision is made by the bank. If you find the right property and hang in there, your chances of closing will increase dramatically. One thing to have your agent ask before writing an offer is if there are two mortgages and if they are with the same bank. The second lien holders are having a hard time accepting what the first lien holders are offering to do the short sale. If there is one loan it will be MUCH easier to do,

Joe Mammy

Beach Lover
Mar 26, 2007
Success rate for shorties? If you have the patience then 10% is about right, but you may wait 6 months for your offer to be accepted only to get a counter.

This week has really been something. In areas 14 and 15 of the MLS (greater Destin area) there has been 38 properties that have gone under contract! We are on fire!

What is interesting is that there is a total of 134 properties that are under contract and of those 73 are shorties! They will drag on and on...

There has been 151 detached single family home closings this year in areas 14 and 15, of those 24 were shorties. So it is possible to close them but it is still a long shot and weighing the mortgages/lender/seller position is all tell tale in deciding whether to take the plunge.

If you do make an offer on a shortie be sure you do not put down a deposit (EMD) but instead make your deposit an X number of days after effective date of the contract, and make your effective date the day the lender accepts the offer. I just had a miserable experience trying to get back EMD for a client on a shortie where the contract had expired- the title company would not release the EMD until both parties signed off on a cancellation of contract and release of escrow and the seller was basically unavailable to sign off or did not want to be bothered with it. We did eventually get the deposit back but not after alot of consternation.

ciclismo

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
What is the success rate with the short sales? Do you know which lenders are cooperative, length of time and general percentage they are accepting?

It depends on how you define a success rate...buyer versus seller. A successful short sell for the seller is to have the short sale go thru and prevent foreclosure. Our team has a success rate of over 90% with all short sales we negotiate.

If the buyer is willing to work through the process and have patience they will also have a high success rate 80% and above. Any short sale transactiion must have the seller and buyer to be qualified and willing to do a short sale. In addition the offer must be in-line with two very important metrics: the loss severity ratio and a percent of fair market value. Finally the short sale process needs to be handled systematically and managed through a very methodical process.

If any of these things do not happen then the short sale will fail and thus the 10% success rate you are seeing on the other posts.

As for Banks. Almost all banks are good to work with once your learn their individual procedures and policies. Some take longer than others...such as Countrywide. However, we have never had a Countrywide short sale not be accepted.

Finally, short sale guidelines change daily and there are new streamlined procedures and incentives that have been mandated by the Obama Administration as part of the Making Home Affordable program. The process will only get better.

Don't be afraid of short sales. They are excellent alternatives to help our friends and families in distress and give buyers an opportunity to help clear out our inventory.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
I have a question on the board for all real estate agents. WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF A SHORT SALE FOR THE SELLER? It still goes on the credit as a default and they had to stop making payments to get the short sale going . It still destroys there credit and from what i understand if it was an investment property or second home the seller gets 1099'd for the loss. So please tell me why somebody wouldn't just let the home go?