• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Interested Girl

Beach Fanatic
Aug 15, 2008
My oh My !

In your example the country cleared my land absent a easement or dedicated right of way and payment or acquiring the property through emminent domain proceedings - right ?

Ka Ching $$$$$$ -

View attachment 13145

The only thing being removed will be the asphalt, road base and then the county will restore the site to its original condition to make me "whole".

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It really is a different subject, but that is not the complete story. The road way (used to be a narrow jeep trail) was used for forty+ years by the public, so the public still has some rights to use the property, even though it is deeded. Eminent Domain was missed at the time of "taking," many, many years ago, and as I understand it, any money paid for the taking would have had to been paid to the owners at the time of the taking, and at the valuation of the property at the time of the taking, not present day valuation nor to present day owners.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
What is so hard with this concept? You can not have a different standard for the beach than you do the rest of the county. If I leave something outside in the woods I own after dark, it is not abandoned. My woods, my land, I can leave stuff out overnight if I want too. The same rules apply for the beach if I own it.

On the contrary, there are inherently different property maitenance standards for urban and rural areas or areas having different kinds of zoning in much of the country. It's very unlikely that anyone's going to complain if you don't mow your lawn out in farm areas, but many cities and towns have rules about how tall grass is allowed to be inside their municipal limits, and will issue code enforcement notices and even enter your property to mow (and bill you for it) if the grass gets too tall. Or a city can dictate 'no farm animals/chicken coops' in residential areas and take legal actions against anyone who violates (see the saga involving a former FWB city councilman, his chickens, and the wandering peacock) and even seize the chickens if the coop is not removed.

The city/local unit of government can also dictate your landscaping in the name of public safety. My area has some baby canopy roads, and there have been several discussions with the local fire department because Florida law apparently says the young live oaks have to be trimmed in such a way that full height emergency vehicles can easily pass under the branches.

kkddbb

Banned
May 13, 2009
Figures

This is what happens when attorney's get involved in anything. Im on this beach daily. I see whats left on this beach daily. Many folks arent looking at the real problem. Its not just selfish people staking out their place for the entire time there here, its a projectile in high winds and it even sometimes ends up in the woods, the lake or even in the gulf. The fact is, the locals that are on grayon beach on a regular basis are going to take matters into their own hands and so be it. And ill be one of those locals that takes matters into my own hands. If the government wants to ignore the local residents and listen more to the few tourist complaints than its the locals that will have to get that message across-period!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Yeah, we have a sign ordinance that seems to pertain to businesses in South Walton, pick your stuff up from the beach or have it confiscated. Also, it would be great if an area around fire hydrants would be cut back so that those it who those BIG HOSES to them could get them.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Methinks there will be a sudden increase in items left close enough to the public walkovers to get picked up by the TDC. ;-)

And I'll be getting more exercise. :ninja:

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
under cover of darkness, tents go a-walkin' & chairs find new homes. once the word gets around, people just might not leave their stuff. y'all be careful out there in the dark.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
A lott in the woods generates the same amount of revenue per 100,000 in value as a lot on the beach.

Revenue generated on a parcel of land is not germaine to the discussion, surely you don't think that property rights are determined by the revenue strean associated with the parcel.

That would definitely be a strange system of government. Pay less and have fewer protection under the law just doesn't seem fair.

I meant to ask how many tourist dollars are spent in Walton County as a result of people coming here to enjoy the wooded lot? Has the economy of Walton County historically been based on people coming to hang out on your wooded lot? No? To me, that is the obvious problem with your apples and oranges comparison.